XXII // CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

Today was Monday. And I've never been more afraid to go to school.

I woke up a bit late today, so I rushed everything and got ready quickly. Phoenix said that he'd drive me to school today, and since I'm finishing No. 10, which is 'say yes for the whole day', I agreed to him.

So, now, I'm waiting for him at my front door.

A few minutes later, and he's finally there. "Goodmorning, sugar" He greeted me, then threw me his helmet. "Morning"

"Who ate your twinkies and made you mad?" He asked, seeing the look of anger on my face. I wasn't sure If I was angry of Erica, or scared.

Definitely angry. 

"Nothing, it's just a bad day" I answered and rode the bike behind him. Then we headed to school.

Once we reached there I got up and headed to Erica's locker, while I was walking I heard Phoenix shout "Where are you going?"

So I shouted back "I have some things to do, I'll see you at lunch break!" 

I wanted nothing more than to get over things with Erica.

I was walking in the hallway, on my way to her locker and looking for her. I was about to text her to ask where she is, until I felt a tap on my shoulder.

I turned around and yep, there she was.

"We have to talk, alone. Come with me." She said while looking down at me as if I wasn't human enough to talk with her.

I rolled my eyes at her behaviour and walked behind her, she was taking me to one of the empty classrooms. 

We found an empty one, and we got in. 

When we did she walked around, her high heels clicking as I was sitting on the desk. "Don't waste my time, Erica. What do you want?" I said, not a minute passed and I'm already sick of staying in the same room with her.

"I want Phoenix." She said, arms crossed. What?

"Pardon?" What does she want from him?

"You heard me. Stay away from Phoenix, I've had my eyes on him for so long" She said and rolled her eyes at me. Her high heels still clicking on the marble floor.

"You have a boyfriend that's ch-" 

"No, I don't, Not anymore. I broke up with him yesterday, he became boring" She cut me off then laughed. 

What a sick person. 

"He's my friend. I won't stop being with him for you" I said, not having any of her shit. She's acting like a total diva as if she owned everyone.

"Fine then, does Phoenix know?" She shrugged and looked at her dead ass long pink fingers. They looked like weapons, to be honest.

"What are you referring to?" I asked. she can't.. She won't stoop this low.

"We both know what I'm referring to my dearest Violet. Does he know that you're dying? Most importantly, dying in like, 120 days? More like, 103 now?"

How the hell does she know this?

"Who told you about these things?" I asked, standing up and facing her now.

"Your doctor is my father, Violet. I just happened to be in his office and saw your name on one of his files" She said boringly while playing with her hair. 

"So, Vi, How about we make this easier.  You step away from Phoenix and I'll keep my mouth shut. Or you can still hang out acting all cute with him, and I'll end it and tell him everything. Also, I might make things spicier and tell the whole school about your bestie and Brandon" She said smugly, handing me her phone and showing me a couple of pictures of when Brandon was harassing Rose.

I fell silent. And stared at her in utter disgust. 

She was willing to do anything, just to get a boy. It's pathetic.

I wasn't saying anything, so she just said, "You can start from today. I have eyes all around this town, Vi. If I saw you with him, I'll spill the tea. And don't think about telling anyone because it'll just make everything worse. So be a good girl and do what I say" 

She grabbed her purse and smirked at me, pushing me away as she was walking to the door. 

What the hell just happened? 

I grabbed my backpack as I heard the doorbell ring. And while I was walking to my first period I kept thinking about her words,

'If I saw you with him, I'll spill the tea'

I have to do it. For Rose. I can't let the whole school see these pictures. I can't.

I have to figure out something.

I need to stay away from Phoenix. As much as it hurts me, I have to do it. 

The problem is, I don't know how to. He's always around, he came a big part of my life within these last few months. 

What am I gonna do?

☆Phoenix Brightly's POV☆

I'm having my maths test now. And considering on what I just solved, I think I'm doing great.

I finished early so I just waited for the bell to ring. It only took me like, half an hour to solve everything. And I'm pretty confident that I'll get at least 96. 

I checked my answers over and over again and going through the same question a hundred times. 

I kept waiting for the bell to ring, I have some good new to tell Violet. 

Also, she said that she'll finish the 'say yes for the whole day' today. So, I'll ask her on a date tonight and she won't be able to say no.

A couple of minutes later, I heard the bell ring. So I quickly handed my paper to the teacher and left the room. 

I tried to remember what Violet has for the second period, and I think she has Physics.

So, I waited in front of her Physics class to tell her about my test.

After a little while of waiting, I saw her coming. Only she was staring at the floor and she looked upset.

What happened?

I went behind her, and put my hands on her eyes, I made the girliest voice I can ever make and said "Guess who it is!" 

She jumped a bit, but then she recovered quickly. "I don't know" She said and grabbed my hand to move them away.

She must've thought I was Rose or someone else, because when she saw me her eyes went wide. "Guess who might've scored over 95 on maths today!" I cheered. 

She had something on her mind, like she was in another place, so I asked "Everything's all right, sugar?" 

She looked lost, or like she had a lot of stuff going on. I've noticed it ever since I came to her house this morning to pick her up, but it's getting worse now.

What could possibly be going on?

Her eyes went behind me, but when I looked back I didn't see anyone. Or maybe there was someone but I couldn't see them because a lot of students were walking.

"I have to go, Phoenix. Congratulations on your maths test" She quickly said and got in the classroom before the lesson started.

I was about to go in too, to ask her again what's wrong.. But the teacher told me that I might have the wrong class. I caught her eyes for a split second and they looked scared.

I wanted nothing more than to know who caused it.