Hatters and Posters, Oh My!

CHAPTER 26: HATTERS AND POSTERS, OH MY!

This kingdom was living on borrowed time as the Resistance of Shuffling Decks wandered through the not-so-enchanted forest. The King of Hearts should better watch out! Once they reached the Mourning Tree, it shall be a check! Patience, readers, not now—the members of the Resistance were busying themselves conversing with one another… except for Eun-soo and Kris. "What's the use of our movement if the Key of Fire and the Dragon Warrior didn't even speak to each other?" a decaf Luhan whispered to Tao.

"I guess, you're right. Things are never too late. Let's work it out!" Tao giggled with a diabolical idea in mind.

"Yes, I know. Let me begin." Luhan smirked evilly as a mad hatter he was. He then approached Eun-soo, cleared his throat and said this to her, "Kris might be silent, but when he speaks, he'll speak in four languages!"

"How do you know?"

"He can speak in English, Mandarin, Korean and his móðurmál, the language of the place he was born in." Luhan explained. "But no one could guess what language his heart will speak."

"So?" said Eun-soo, the 'indifference' engine fully programmed by her mother's constant effort to set her up with someone.

"Nay, don't give me that look!" Luhan dropped his shoulders and puckered his lips. "No one knows that beneath the cold guy exterior is a tender heart. He could be so caring as well."

Eun-soo paced faster, leaving Luhan behind. Luhan raised his hat and waved it at her. "You should wait and see!" he yelled. When she left, he placed the hat back on his head and motioned to Tao. Get prepared!

Tao nodded in comprehension. He shifted his gaze to someone else. Kris was walking ahead of them with a happy little Ace close behind him. Kris had carried Ace in his arms for too long now that he decided to take a rest. Talk about perfect timing!

Luhan lifted a finger and simultaneously, Ace was sent flying away slowly from Kris. There was fear in the alpaca's eyes. We can't blame him. Alpacas aren't meant to fly either. The baffled Ace cried for help. "Meep! Mee—"

Tao had stopped the time for good. His height made it possible for him to pull the static Ace from his suspended flight. Without anybody noticing, he raced to Kai's side. The baton was passed.

Actually, Kai was the third collaborator. The flow of time resumed as it was, Kai snatched Ace and disappeared in one 'poof', leaving nothing but a billowing smoke. He'd taken Ace to a far section of the forest and bribed the alpaca with a handful of blueberries. A deal was sealed.

"Tired of walking, Ace? Let Pabbi hold you now!" Kris turned back and tried to lift Ace in one scoop, but his son wasn't there. He was only scooping nothing. Ace was missing! Where did he go? Where did he go? Kris went frantic. He asked everyone around him, have you seen Ace? To Kris's consternation, they only shook their heads.

To save his son, the worried father took flight. Kris flew along the track where he'd gone before. He scrutinised every detail, every contour and every movement from above. Up here, everything is visible. And something caught his eye. Ace! He was in the arms of a maiden with flaxen hair. Kris landed in front of the maiden with just inches to spare. The startled maiden held Ace tighter to herself. Ace kept munching until a blueberry drool lined his mouth.

"Where did you take Ace, Eun-soo ah? You can't just steal him from me without a given permission." Kris clenched a hand, willing electric beams to jump across his fingers.

"Do you have to electrocute me for that? You're the one too careless to let him stray!"

"You wretched wench! You're calling me careless?"