Hurricane Drunk, an Interlude

CHAPTER 35: HURRICANE DRUNK, AN INTERLUDE

regent /ree-gent/ n.

Origin: from Latin regent- 'ruling', from the verb regere.

1. A person appointed to administer a state because the monarch is a minor or is absent or incapacitated.

The Prince Regent of Hearts became the embodiment of the word 'regent' itself. He was the one ruling Wonderland now. He was no longer a minor. Today, he was a capable ruler, twenty of age.

How?

Prince Regent Sehun was appointed to rule Wonderland temporarily as the King of Hearts was found in a vegetative state, lying on a flower-bed in the indoor garden. The royal doctors couldn't find what was wrong with him. At first observation, he seemed normal. His pulse was strong and regular, his skin colouration was normal and everything else was fine. He was perfect—so perfect in his perpetuated slumber, looking like something out of a fairy-tale. A ruler once so loud and atrocious looked so gentle and lenient with his eyelids falling over his once fiery eyes.

Despite sustaining the illusion of great health, the King of Hearts was a bundle of contradictions. He was sleeping but he couldn't be woken up. To see him breathing but unmoving unsettled the doctors. What had actually happened to him? He won't wake up, still he won't die.

Therefore, the King of Hearts was declared unfit to rule. The Prince Regent, with his vicarious authority, had to govern the kingdom on the behalf of the disabled sovereign.

The best birthday present that the Prince Regent had ever got was a kingdom all for himself. All for himself. No more silence. No more loneliness. No more humiliation. No more pain. No more fears. No more tears.

He had a kingdom to listen to him. He had a kingdom to listen to him. He had a kingdom to listen to him.

A sweet feeling seeped into Sehun, resting safely at the base of his heart. It's the law of nature. Fire strengthens wind. Temperature is directly proportional to pressure. (Pressure law, anyone?) It was an emancipation. He was no longer an underling to be ordered around. He was now the master of his destiny. And destiny had surrendered to him.

He was chosen!

He was better than the others. He was smart. His plan was unexpected. The King was tricked. First of all, his hands were no longer dirty: he was redeemed.

On his twentieth birthday, Sehun was honoured by his first accomplishment. The tightness in his chest melted away. Inspiration came in deep and rewarding. His lungs were filled the fullest with air—he felt himself rising up as a fierce storm woke inside him. He did it. He did it!

Hadn't he been the destined leader to save Wonderland from danger? Yes, it was him all along! Look at that! The Reign of Fire was overthrown!

It's a fact. Wind extinguishes fire. Happy birthday, Sehun. Blow the fire out of its pretty little candle and make your wish. The wish is yours and yours and yours.

Nevertheless, Sehun had someone to thank.

April 13th marked a day in the history of Wonderland. Never was a sentenced prisoner ever permitted to evade the guillotine, let alone be released from all charges. Most of the time, prisoners would be headless before they had a chance to be guiltless. That day, (miracles in April, I might say) Xiumin looked up from his dank dungeon to see the Prince Regent's crack of pleased smile. "Ah, Prince Regent sir, what are you doing here?" Xiumin asked, his body stiffening.

"I'm fulfilling my promise." The Prince Regent unlocked the gate. The gate swung open.

Xiumin bowed humbly. "Ah, thank you, young master. It was awkward to be released--"

The Prince Regent's sudden 'tch' halted Xiumin's speech. His eyes radiated a peculiar glow as he placed his hand over his heart. "No, I should be the one to thank you. You're the only one who helped me. To me, you don't deserve to be here. You're a nice person." he added.

"Am I?" Xiumin's expression was rather inquisitive.

The Prince Regent placed his other hand on Xiumin's shoulder. A light assuring squeeze was given. "I believe you, hyung. I believed you from the start."

"I'm more than glad to help." Xiumin gave an condescending grin in return. "Maybe I'm just an outsider to you, but to me you're a brother of blood."

Brother, Sehun echoed mentally.

A foreign term.

Brother?

Crystal beads slipped down his eyes. Sehun quickly brushed them off and obliged a calm disposition. "I'm the King now. But, I can't rule alone. Please, be my Regent."

"Anything you offer." said Xiumin. He ended the bargain with a hug.

That was an offer he couldn't refuse.

A/N: I'm suffering a total mental block writing this chapter. The despair! T^T Sorry for this fractured chapter. I've been busy these days. And in case I'll be busier, I won't be able to update as fast as usual. Mianhae~

The credit for the phrase 'miracles in April' goes to @lovelehyixing. Summer's Summer is a different kind of novel!:D A twist lay waiting!

And yes, I'm a fan of Florence + the Machine.

XOXO,

HCl