Chapter 38: Wake Up Call (The Offer)

LORELEI

LORELEI

DISBANDED? My head turned to Loki and shot him with a curious stare. He only replied by a simple squinting of his eyes. Jamie was as shocked as I was in the room, gaping at the Math instructor who broek the news.

I have never known Sir Jim Morayta to be a joker who would jest randomly. I can tell by the look on his face that he is serious. I also tried to read something from Margarette's and Rye's expressions. The news must be real, though I hope that it isn't.

"The order came from the school administration," Sir Jim explained after almost a minute of silence. "We, as the executive committee, were tasked to remove all stuff from your club room. Ayaw kong mabigla kayo pagpasok n'yo bukas na naka-lock na ang inyong office kaya minabuti ko nang sabihin sa inyo ngayon."

Wala pa ring kumibo sa aming tatlo. The news was too much for us to absorb that it rendered us speechless. I was waiting for Loki to comment on the announcement, but his mind might still be processing the information.

"How about the Luthor?" That name was the first thing that came to mind. "How about the student council? Didn't they do anything to stop the disbandment?"

With a disappointed look on his face, Sir Jim shook his head slowly.

"Luthor did not say a word against the order," Margarette took the turn to explain, crossing her arms across her chest while her eyeglasses shone. "I thought he would try to use his convincing powers to overturn the admin's decision. But he did not."

"He told me before he wouldn't let something that Loki holds dear disappear—"

My mouth froze. For a moment, I forgot that Luthor is Moriarty. Dahil sa deal namin ilang buwan na ang nakararaan—noong binalak din nilang buwagin ang club matapos ang Stein Alberts incident sa coffee shop—I thought he would come to the club's defense. Idagdag mo pa ang sinabi niya noon sa gym na hindi niya hahayaang mawala kay Loki ang mga bagay na mahalaga para sa kapatid niya, kagaya ng club.

But no. Baka siya pa nga ang may pakana nito at ipinalabas niya lamang na utos ito ng school admin. But I don't see how he would benefit from it. Yes, the club is now officially disbanded, but that doesn't mean that Loki would stop his investigations already.

"The last straw might be the incident at the abandoned building," Sir Jim said. His eyes gazed briefly on me and Jamie. "I don't see any other reason why the admins would give out that order."

"Suspicious." Loki finally broke his silence. His eyes were staring blankly at the wall. "It has been more than two weeks since that incident happened. Why did they act just now?"

Napaisip akong bigla sa sinabi niya. Tama nga naman. Bakit tumagal ng mahigit dalawang linggo ang pagdedesisyon nila?

"I would have understood if the disbandment order came out a few days after what happened," he went on, his eyes now looking at my Math instructor. "So why now?"