3.

Zeus' Pov

I don't mean to be so anti, but that's who I am. I used to be sweet as fuck until Aj and Amber grew up. They're annoying.

I lay on my bed, ready to listen to Chance the Rapper or Kendrick Lamar. Maybe even J. Cole. That's just my mood right now, straight bumping hip hop. I scroll until I come across "Apparently" by J. Cole. I pop my earphones in and close my eyes.

When I close my eyes, I start imagining things I can weld and build. I want to build skyscrapers or weld sculptures. That's my dream. It's always something about being in control or high in the clouds that does it for me.

As I rap along, I hear my door open. I keep my eyes closed and turn the music up. I already know who it is.

"Z?"

I nod to the music. "Apparently..."

"Z? Z!"

"Lee e eeeee,  apparently..."

"Zeus!" My little sister snatches my earphone out.

"Ow!" I turn to them. "The fuck y'all want?"

"I just wanted to see if you'd play Madden with me..." Aj said, sitting on my bed.

I scrunch my face up. "Yall came on here messing up my ME time for some damn football?"

"I wanted to see if you could take us to the mall," Amber says as Aj looks down.

I put my arm over my eyes. "Mall for what? "

She lays over my stomach. "Your birthday present!"

Aj sits up. "Yeah, we want to get you something special!"

"Why?"

"Because you're our favorite big brother. We love you , Z," Amber laughs.

I sigh. "Will yall leave me alone if I do?"

"Promise," they say.

"Let's go before I change my mind."

They jump off and Amber kisses my cheek. I wipe it off. Chaps, I swear.

-

At the mall, they walk in every store and get nothing. I sit on a bench, ready to go.

Jayla is here talking to her friends then she smiles at me. I smile back and call her over.

"You wanted to see me? " she laughs.

"Yeah, umm...my birthday is Saturday."

"And..."

"I was wondering if ... uh. Never mind. Well... I'm having a party..."

"Z!" The twins carry bags and jump on me.

Jayla laughs. "Your brother and sister are cute. I'll go to your party."

"Ooo, Zeusie Papoosie got a girlfriend, " Amber says.

"I'm telling mama! " Aj says.

Jayla smiles. "No, I'm not his girl. I'm Jayla."

"I'm Ambrosia, but they call me Amber and this is my twin, Ajax. We call him Aj."

"Nice to meet you all, bye Zeusie Papoosie. "

I wave, then glare at them.

"Zeus," Amber says.

"Get yall asses in the car, now!"

"But ..." Aj said.

"I said get yall asses in. Always in the damn way of something, can never have shit."

They look at each other and head towards the car.
-

I head to my room.

"Zeus," Amber starts.

I look at her and she leaves.

"Man, I'm sorry, I just wanted to hang out with you," Aj says and shifts nervously.

I wipe my face. "What you can do for me right now is give me space."

Aj hands me some mail. "This came in today."

I take it. "Preciate it man."

He looks at me from the hallway and nods. Then he goes to his room.

I open the letter. It's about me recruiting. I've been thinking about joining the air force. I've always wondered about being high in the sky, away from here. Enough space to clear my head. Enough space to be myself. Just away.

Then they'll say I'm just like my dad. Again. Everything I do is a reflection of his greatness. I want to have my own greatness, not to be anyone's shadow. Is that too much to ask? I don't know, but I know almost all of Charleston knows about my family. Adonis works at Boeing and dad works as a physical therapist. Amber is a gymnast and Aj plays in the band. I just play baseball whenever and I'm a part of smart clubs. Nothing special about me. Only C and X think I'm the shit. Jayla sure doesn't . Not Zeusie Papoosie.