Undercover Double Date

Ch.8

"Weren't you about to tell me something earlier today?" Kevin asked. We were sitting at a table outside, eating lunch.

   "Oh, right. You remember the guy we played football with, the buff one on my team?"

   "Yeah, what about him?"

   "Well, I saw him yesterday. We talked a bit and he gave me his number." I said, casually.

   "You're kidding." Kevin said, looking at me like I was joking. I just smirked.

   "Nope. He just popped out of nowhere, asked me to join his football team, gave me his number and said to give him a call so we could hang out." Kevin raised his brows and nodded slowly. He opened his mouth to say something, but Nick chose that moment to crash down beside him on a seat.

   "'Sup guys?" Nick said, oblivious to Kevin's glare.

   "Good job, your plan worked." Kevin said.

   "Thank you, they always do." Nick said with a triumphant look, before it turned into a sheepish one, "What plan?" he asked. Kevin just rolled his eyes, like he couldn't believe someone like Nick could accomplish anything.

   "The one to get Mark a guy." Nick's eyes widened in excitement. While Kevin was more of the laid back type who didn't show strong emotions that often, Nick was the total opposite, always wearing his emotions on his sleeves and letting everyone know how he felt.

   "It worked?!" he exclaimed, like he couldn't believe it himself.

   "Yes, Nick. It worked." I said, amused by his surprise.

   "Who is it?" he said, practically bouncing in his seat.

   "The buff guy that played on my team." Nick looked thoughtful for a second before he snapped his fingers and pointed at me.

   "The one with tan skin and brown hair."

   "Exactly."

   "So? What happened?" he asked, leaning forward in anticipation.

   "We ran into each other the next day, talked for a bit and he gave me his number and told me to give him a call so we could hang out."

   "And?"

   "And what?"

   "Have you called him?"

   "No, not yet." Nick looked like he wanted to hit me.

   "Why? What're you waiting for?"

   "I don't know, I just haven't gotten around to do it." I said, shrugging. Actually, I had thought about it a lot, but I didn't know how to persuade him. It wasn't like I had any experience.

   "Then do it now!"

   "Now?"

   "Yes, now!" Nick looked half crazy with the way he was shouting and practically lying on the table.

   "I can't do it now. We're in school."

   "My ass you can't do it. Stop making up excuses and call him!"

   "He's right, y'know. Now is as good a time as any." Kevin said, reasonably.

   "But... What do I say?"

   "Seriously? That's why you haven't called him?" Nick said, incredulously.

   "What? It's not something I do regularly." I defended.