The Finale

Ch. 14

Typical me to wake up late for school and to hurry through everything to get there on time.

   This was definitely not how I imagined my first morning with Jake to go. I had imagined something like us walking inside together, meeting everyone's stare head on. Jake would for the first time walk with me and I wouldn't have to worry about any fighting because no one would dare go against Jake. Kind of like a movie moment.

   Instead I ended up running into Ms Winters's class just as she was about to close the door. Muttering an apology I shuffled over to my seat. The seat next to me was vacant and some blonde girl with heavy make-up sat on the other side of me, looking into a pocket mirror. She didn't even look up as I sat down. No one did, but I was used to the indifference by now.

   Ms Winters had just opened her mouth to start her lecture when there was a knock on the door. Ms Winters walked over briskly, looking annoyed at the interruption. She opened the door and on the other side stood Ms Blade with none other than Jake and Nick shuffling behind her.

   "I'm so sorry for disturbing your class Ms Winters, but I was having a word with these boys and didn't realize that I held them back so long that they were late for class. I hope you can overlook the delay this time."

   Ms Winters regarded her stoically, "Very well then, Ms Blade. Boys, have a seat."

   Both of them scurried past the teachers and just as Ms Winters turned and started shutting the door, Ms Blade and I made eye contact and she winked. I guess having an innocent look can be useful even for a teacher.

   I turned ahead again but my view was blocked by a grey T-shirt-clad torso, leading up to a chest with protruding collarbones and even higher a head graced with a playful smirk and disheveled, black hair. Jake leaned down and put his hands on my desk.

   "That's my seat. Move."

   I returned his smirk and raised my eyebrow in a challenge, "There's plenty of room for you too."

   He shook his head in amusement and chuckled lightly, "You're right." he said and took the seat next to me. I pouted, that's not what I had in mind, and looking at him he knew that.

   I lifted my gaze again and once more it was blocked by someone. This someone's face was graced with a dropped jaw and wide eyes. Nick looked from my sheepish face to Jake's smug one. An incredulous laugh escaped his lips while he pointed at Jake.

   "I knew it! I knew you liked him! I was right!" Nick shouted, effectively drawing everyone's attention and kick-starting the rumour mill. By lunch everyone in school knew about Jake and I and we had received all kinds of reactions, from disgusted looks and whispers following us to admiring looks and giggling girls and some indifferent and neutral people. Everything manageable, until some of Jake's old buds decided to ruin our lunch by acting like stupid monkeys, throwing around insults. But Jake didn't need to do more than stand up and take a threatening step towards them for them all to take a hesitant step back, muttering things and scattering. No one bothered us after that and Jake seemed to relax more.

   "Hey guys. Mind if I join you?" Melody said. Nick's demeanor immediately changed, he sat up straight and his smile stretched from ear to ear.

   "Hey, babe." he said, smoothly pulling out the chair beside his for her to sit down. She smiled and took the seat, leaning over and pecking Nick's cheek. Jake looked at Nick questioningly. It had totally slipped my mind that Jake didn't know about Melody, and Nick was at the moment in his own little world.

   I cleared my throat, "Melody, this is my boyfriend, Jake. And Jake, this is Nick's..." I trailed of. I was about to say girlfriend, but I wasn't sure if she was. Melody caught on to my hesitance and took over, offering her hand, "Nick's girlfriend, Melody."