Tug Of War

Ch. 13

It turns out Jake snores, and he hogs the blankets. Okay, the snoring wasn't much but still, I'm not used to having someone constantly making noises right next to me while I'm trying to sleep. The blanket hogging was a problem though, because it was extremely chilly that night. I remember waking up several times throughout the night to have a tug of war with a sleeping Jake, and he's very persistent even in his sleep. It ended up with me getting enough to cover an arm for no more than an hour, only to repeat again.

   I was surprised though this morning. I woke up, still feeling the cold air in the room, but I wasn't freezing. On the contrary, I was tucked in neatly so as to not be affected by the coldness. I was tempted to just slip back to sleep, but I was never one for wasting my days in bed. I felt the need to be productive once I woke up.

   I rubbed my eyes and looked around groggily. I could see the sky from my window and though the storm had stopped, the sky was covered with a thick white cloud, promising a hold on the hot summer weather. I turned on my back and looked around the room. I noted that Jake wasn't in bed or in the room, but figured he must've woken up earlier.

   I got up slowly, too tired to move any faster, and went to the bathroom. On the way there I saw that Jake was nowhere to be seen. He must've gone home, though I wondered why he hadn't waited for me to wake up, or at least woken me up.

   Slightly irritated I went into the bathroom only to walk out to another surprise. Jake had just walked inside and was shrugging off my jacket, two white bags by his feet. He was wearing his clothes from yesterday, they must've dried during the night, but it looked like it was cold out if he had to borrow a jacket.

   "Where've you been?" I asked, my voice still a bit raspy from sleep.

   "Remember you didn't have anything to eat? Well, I was hungry so I got us breakfast."

   "Oh." I wasn't used to him being this considerate, and he caught me off guard, "Thanks."

   "Don't look so surprised, I can be nice." he teased, walking by me to get to the kitchen.

   "I didn't know." I mumbled, walking after him.

   I sat down at the kitchen table and Jake started unpacking the bags. He got out two cups of coffee, I could tell by the smell, a bottle of orange juice, two baguettes and two cups of fruit yogurt. I raised my brows at everything and then raised my eyes to meet his.

   "You didn't have to buy all of this, y'know."

   "Shut up, I'm hungry. Now eat." Now there's the Jake I know. I raised my hands in surrender and picked up one of the baguettes. It was freshly made with vegetables, ham and cheese. The bread was soft and moist, not dry and hard like old bread, and the tastes danced on my tongue. The baguette was good, but I bet it tasted better since I hadn't had any dinner yesterday and I was starving.

   None of us said anything for a while, too busy stuffing our mouths, but after our hunger was quenched we slowed down to enjoy our meal.

   "So, what're you gonna do today?" I asked Jake, to get a conversation going.

   "Don't know. Probably head home first, check up on Kevin." Jake didn't show it, but I knew that even with their bad relationship, he still cared a lot for his brother. He just had a strange way of showing it, and he's way to hard headed to actually say anything to him or try to fix things. That gave me an idea.

   "Hey, do you mind if I join you? I haven't seen Kevin in a while."

Jake looked at me like he couldn't comprehend why I wanted that, "I guess, but I'm not so sure that's a good idea, he's got it pretty bad and it's contagious."