CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE - Kicking Up Dust

"Parade! Parade! Parade!"

"Yes, we're going to the parade," sighed Chad, though he had a grin on his face. "But we can't leave until you eat your breakfast."

They had only been home from Disneyland for three days and now it was the fourth of July. Emily was running around with red, white, and blue pom-poms in her blonde pigtails and a red tutu dress. She stopped running and climbed up into her chair next to Timber. Grace had fixed a light, patriotic breakfast of blueberry pancakes with bananas, and strawberries so they had room in their stomachs for lunch.

"Aunt Grace, I want to spend today in my real form," said Timber suddenly.

"You don't have to," said Chad.

"I know, but we're going to be out all day and I don't want to Turn suddenly because I got scared or got tired," explained Timber as she cut up the last half of her pancakes. "Is that okay?"

"Well, since you put it that way," said Grace. "I guess so, but what about the bandana you picked out for today?"

"Tie it around my neck," said Timber. "I want to be festive, but I want to be in my real form. Are canines allowed at the Salmon BBQ?"

"I think so," said Chad. "You'll have to stay on your leash, though."

As usual, Timber felt a hammer hit her pride whenever she was going to be put on the leash but she tolerated it. She shrugged and finished eating her breakfast. She understood why she was put on the leash but she still didn't like it.

After breakfast, Timber put her plate in the sink and told Grace she was going outside to mask her smell from the dogs that would certainly be at the parade. Grace nodded as she loaded the dishwasher. So Timber Turned and went out into the backyard. She took a breath, knowing that Grace would be very unhappy, and she began rolling in the dirt. She covered herself from head to tail with a light layer of earth and grass and shook off the extra. Then she rubbed both sides of her body on the flowers that grew in the side yard just as her mother had taught her to do. She rubbed the sides of her face against the fence and then climbed the small tree and added the scent of bark and red oak leaves to her perfume. Once she was satisfied she was masked well enough, she jumped out of the tree and went inside. Grace was waiting with the bandana and scrunched her face as she got close to Timber.

"Was this necessary?" asked Grace.

Timber nodded and Grace sighed and asked Chad to put a towel in Timber's seat in the car. Grace put Timber's pink collar around her neck and covered it with a red, white, and blue bandana. Her leash was attached to her collar and she was taken out to the car. Chad was buckling Emily in her car seat when Timber jumped in.

It was a short drive down Highway 1 to Mendocino. Timber stuck her head out the window and pretended she was flying as Chad turned with the curves of the road. Timber pulled her head in when he slowed down and she looked around. It was a tiny town but there didn't seem to be many empty parking spaces. Chad found one on a hill and pulled in. Timber waited until her door was opened and her leash was in Grace's hand before she jumped out. Emily was put in her small stroller and pushed toward the parade.

It was crowded along the street. Timber wondered if they could find a place big enough for the four of them. Then she realized why Emily was in the stroller. Timber was going to be in her lap. Timber had no objections if this was the case, and sure enough, as soon as they found a place, Timber was picked up and handed to Emily.

Timber waited patiently for something to happen. It took five minutes but she heard a horn in the distance. She looked and saw a car heading very slowly their way. If Timber was honest with herself, she was more impressed with the Christmas parade, though this was enjoyable too. Emily was enjoying waving to everyone. Chad and Grace kept looking at each other sometimes with serious expressions as some floats went by. Timber didn't understand most of what caused their expressions, but she could venture a guess that it was something that they did not approve of.