eleven

"Alright, maggots! Line up!"

Oscar cringed at the sound of Agent Strong's abrasive voice. "Jeez, Ashley. Do you ever use your inside voice?"

The man jabbed a large finger at him menacingly. "How many times do I have to tell you, Jimenez. It's Agent Strong or Coach to you."

"Right," Oscar quickly said. He straightened up and saluted the man. "My apologies, sir!"

Agent Strong scowled and shook his head before returning his attention to the rest of the teenagers standing before him. Despite the surprise meeting with Director Shaw earlier that morning, they were still being subjected to inhumane practice that was early morning training.

A game of capture the flag had been planned for the group. There only nine of them participating, as Chase, Stella, and Andre were completing their recovery sessions in the infirmary. That just left Oscar, Emily, Theo, and the rest of the new recruits to terrorize Agent Strong without being told off by Chase or Stella—much to Oscar's delight.

They were great leaders and upstanding citizens and all, but they could be buzzkills. It was always "pay attention" and "stop messing around", along with the occasional "quit picking your nose". 

However, it didn't seem like anyone was in the mood to terrorize Agent Strong. In fact, everyone besides Oscar was struggling to keep their eyes open. A few of them were even having trouble standing upright.

"Wake up, maggots!"

Agent Strong pushed his sunglasses up his nose and blew the whistle hanging around his neck. The shrill noise jolted everyone as if they'd been zapped by lightning. Angus, who had a streak of drool lining his square chin, jumped and accidentally elbowed Lucky in the stomach. The long-haired boy fell to his knees and groaned in pain. Beside them, Emily simply facepalmed while the others laughed.

Agent Strong wasn't amused.

"If you lot don't get your act together, you'll be running laps for the rest of training."

"I actually don't mind running," Zach quipped. "Running is rad." He vanished in a burst of neon green only to reappear a second later—except now his blond hair was slightly disheveled and he was breathing heavier than before. "Wanna see me do it again?"

"No," everyone else said in unison.

Oscar stepped in front of the line of young Primes and faced them. "Hey guys, cut it out. Ashley...I mean Coach Strong is trying to help us become the best superheroes we can be."

"Thank you, Os—"

"If you guys keep messing with him, he'll blow a fuse. I mean look at him." He glanced at the hulking, retired agent over his shoulder. "He's already in shambles."

"Why you little..." Agent Strong swiped at Oscar, but the pyro was expecting it. He sidestepped just in time to dodge the man's hand. A chorus of laughter sounded throughout the group.

Grinning triumphantly, he put his hands up and took a step backward. "Oops?"

"Keep messing around and you'll be running laps until your legs fall off, kid."

"Alright, alright. I'm done."

Agent Strong grunted in reply. "Just hurry up and pick your teams. Head over to The Battlefield when you're done." Without waiting for any sort of acknowledgment, he stomped out of The Gym and into the nearby simulation room.

Still smiling, Oscar turned to his peers. "Who's ready to play capture the flag?"

#

Oscar clapped his hands together as he waited for countdown blaring through the speakers hidden throughout The Battlefield to finish.