thirty-two

At the far end of the hall ahead of her, a shock of blue appeared on the ceiling. It vanished and reappeared, each time getting a little bit closer. Emily tightened her grip on her bow as she watched it approach.

A bolt of electricity arced toward her and she instinctively rolled out of the way. Jumping back to her feet, she ordered everyone else in the hallway to make a run for the center of the Pentagon. The rest of her team would be able to intercept them before anyone else could.

As they sprinted away from her, she faced the man standing across from her.

Blue and purple lights pulsed beneath his skin. Pure energy crackled within his azure irises. A small frown rested on his face.

Emily scowled.

Circuit.

Even though their last encounter had been weeks ago, she could still remember the unbearable feeling of getting electrocuted by the Prime. She wouldn't it happen again.

"You are not supposed to be here," he grumbled.

"I could say the same for you," Emily retorted. She maintained her hold on her bow, ready to launch her arrow at a moment's notice. She glanced past him, checking to see if he was alone. "Where are your friends?"

"Where are yours?"

Emily huffed. The two of them slowly began circling each other, their eyes never leaving the others.

Finally, Circuit attacked.

He pointed all ten of his fingers at her. A spiderweb of electricity shot out from his fingertips and raced towards her. With a yelp, she dropped to the ground and flattened herself like a pancake. She popped up onto her knee and launched a sonic arrow in Circuit's direction.

It whistled past him and embedded itself in the wall. Then it exploded, unleashing a wave of sonic energy. Circuit cried out as he was flung into the air.

Before he could hit the ground, his body dispersed into sparks. They moved backward before reforming his body.

"I don't have time for this," he grumbled. He turned and sprinted down the hallway.

Emily's eyes widened.

He's going for Mr. Lwando.

Gritting her teeth, she ran after him. She chased him down the hall. They were rapidly approaching the main sector of the Pentagon. The darkness around her quickly blended into the light coming from the other hallways.

Her communicator suddenly came back online.

"Emily!?" Kai's voice rang in her ear.

Her heart nearly jumped out of her chest at the sound of her voice.

"Where are you?" she demanded while turning a corner. "I'm chasing after Circuit. He's heading for the main pavilion."

"Force and I are already there—"

"Good! Stay there."

Kai paused for a moment. The sound of something crashing in the background filled Emily's ears. She slowed up as she waited for the girl's reply.

"Pisces?"

"It's Frost and Viper. They're here."

"Just hang tight. I'm on way."

She closed the channel and broke out into a full-on sprint. A few minutes later, she arrived in the Pentagon's central pavilion. She spotted Kai and Angus battling Viper and Frost on the patches of grass in the middle of the floor. Screams rang out around her as people desperately tried escaping the action.