Chapter 38: Wake Up Call (The Trap)

LORELEI

LORELEI

I SLAPPED my right hand on my forehead as I slowly shook my head. Why does he always have to be straightforward? The doctor in front of us is a potential serial killer. Is Loki not worried about the harm that his sharp tongue can cause?

Dr. Grimm Mortimer let out a long sigh and reclined in his chair. Paulit-ulit niyang pinagpipindot ang button ng kanyang fountain pen. "You probably heard some nonsense about me being a grim reaper wandering the halls of this hospital. That's BS."

"It isn't nonsense if it is true," Loki countered. He took a step closer to that person's desk. "Man-to-man, are you the doctor of death?"

"No," the doctor said firmly. Kung siya nga talaga ang pumatay sa mga pasyente niya, bakit naman siya bigla-biglang aamin, 'di ba? He would deny it to death. "I work here to save lives, not to deliver them to Death's doorstep."

"How would you explain the deaths of your comatosed patients?" Hindi na ako nakapagpigil na magtanong. I'm worried about what he might do to Alistair if our hunch was correct. "Sa tatlong hinawakan n'yong pasyente, lahat sila'y binawian ng buhay. That's too much of a coincidence."

"And that's where the rumors probably began about you," Loki added. His eyes were closely watching the doctor's every movement. Maging ang paghinga yata nito, binabantayan niya. "They said your curse cost your patients their lives."

"I'm a medical man, a believer of science. I don't give a damn about those curse rumors." Bahagyang tumaas ang boses ng doktor, dala na rin siguro ng pagkainis. "Whatever happened to those patients, my hands are clean. Ganyan naman talaga kapag naka-comatose ang isang tao. There's a chance that he might wake up, there's a chance that he won't."

"You said it yourself that you're a medical man." But Loki won't back down. "Perhaps you used something to kill them without arousing any suspicion."

Fuming, Dr. Mortimer slammed his fists on the table. "I swear on my mother's grave that I did not use my medical expertise to kill anyone! Ano bang mapapala ko kung papatayin ko sila? Do you think that I'm a psychopath who does things for fun?"

"You may want to free them from the uncertainty," Loki did not flinch. "You said that there's a chance they might not wake up. Baka ayaw mong nakikitang umaasa ang mga pamilya nila kaya pinagpahinga mo na ang mga pasyente mo habambuhay. An act of mercy, you may call it."

Muling napasandal sa kanyang upuan ang doktor. Kahit anong sabihin niya, nakahanda si Loki para kontrahin ang mga 'to. He'd be wise to shut his mouth instead of exchanging fiery words with my colleague.

"Let me give you an option." Humakbang pa si Loki palapit sa desk ng doktor. "You can hire us to investigate the alleged curse that has tarnished your reputation in this hospital. We can prove either your innocence or your guilt."

"What? Hire you? Sino ba kayo?"

"We are high school detectives, and we take cases that pique our interest."