Chapter 1: Tasse de Café

Ever since that day i met Harume, my thoughts and life has changed whether you see it or not. My daily routine, I don't just brush my teeth, bathe and go to sleep anymore. I go exercise, i play games again, it's like- no. Too early, too much to think. Ugh, i hate thinking so much, but what else can i do? I live alone, i just do school work and i just head by the coffee shop near my school to just chill out. Oh yeah, remember that barista right? That is my best friend, Karin. Yeah, weird name for a guy, but I don't care. Karin is a white haired, green eyed wiseman. He tends to stand out more than your average person because he acts chill, compared to most people here. When i came to the university for the first time, he was the first to look at me and pat me on the head and introduce me to everything i needed to know in the university. He graduated years ago so he made a Café and usually thats where a lot of people stop by, including me. He gives the best advices sometimes and he is well like a big brother to me. I never had one before. But I'm digressing. I never got the chance to call Harume, i suppose it's time i give her a call.

*ringing, ringing*
*ringing, buzzzz, ringing*

Huh, guess i called at the wrong time, i suppose i can leave a voicemail.

*The number you called is unavailable at this moment. Please leave a message after the tone, /beep/*

"Uh, hey Harume, it's Darren. I apologize for calling days after we met. I was hoping to just call you and ask if you want to hang by the café we met in? Don't worry, i will pay for the coffee. Haha..alright text or call back from this number, Harume."

I then end the call and turn off my phone. Come to think of it, i never drank coffee until now, it's strange. I always thought it would poison me, i know, stupid right? Karin would constantly beg me to try his coffee but i would always decline and just ask for Jasmine Tea. I guess last time i just tried it and i liked it. I really hope Harume listens to my voicemail and stop by the café.

I begun to dress myself after bathing and brushing my teeth, comb my hair, bring my keys and bag with me. I don't know this feeling, but it feels all too good. Maybe..no. It won't happen again. Just be happy you made another friend whos roughly your age, literally by one year you're older than her. Harume, she's really beautiful and pretty, but she is probably not even interested in me anyway. I shrug myself off and proceed to Karins Café*.

When i arrive, i see Karin is smoking outside the shop, so i walk over to him.

"Hey, Karin, what's up? Thought the shop was open today?" I stated. "Ah nothing much, Darren," Karin puffs out smoke and takes a breather. "And the shop is open, but business was booming today, over 30 people stopped by." He said, after succinctly pausing. I look up at Karin and laugh. "Haha, man you should've called me, I couldve helped if you called me sooner." He chuckles along, with the cigarette still in his mouth. "I could've, but i chose not to, I don't wish to let others do my work, if ya know what i mean."

Yeah i know what he meant. Long ago he told me a story about his past, with his parents dying in a fire and he was put in a foster home. He was forced to do everything by himself, he told me, so he never asked for help or any errand for someone to finish for him. He just did everything by himself.

I sigh and shake my head in displeasure, attempting to be optimistic. "Well quit smoking and get inside, you have three more customers coming in!" I laugh and pat his shoulder. He then looks at me and tilts his head in utter confusion. "Whose the second and third customer? And also," He puffs out smoke once more. "I'm on break, kiddo. But you're lucky i like ya." He throws the cigarette out to the ground and prepares to open the door. I begin to smile. "Well the second customer is Harume, that girl who came by the other day remember? And the third is..you!"

Karin looks up at me in surprise then looks down chuckling. "Heh, someone has a date i see." I am flustered and exclaim I don't like her, as of yet. "I haven't even talked with her for like an hour yet, i barely know her. All i know is that she's a freshman and she must be younger than me by one year." Karin pats my shoulder and looks up at me once again. "Love is something that not even you yourself knows, it's what you think really. Love will have you thinking and do a lot of stuff, kiddo. I know from experience. But listen here. Think about it then you can talk to me about whether you like this girl or not, copy?" There he goes being spiritual and wise again. I nod and take a seat, awaiting my coffee and Harume.

Hours has passed and the sun begins to die down, causing the city lights and shop lights to turn on by itself. I sigh after finishing my coffee and shrug. "Guess it was too good to be true." I state as i get up. Until i heard that door creak and the bell chime just like that day. I hear normal footsteps and like heels so i turn and i see it was Harume. "Oh hey. I thought you weren't coming." I said to her as i walk towards her.

She looks fragile, so shy. She begins to talk. "M-my bad, Darren. I was looking everywhere for this shop..i had to remember where i walked that other day in order to come by. I'm so sorry for arriving late..!" I chuckle and smile at her, lightly patting her shoulder. She flinched once i patted her shoulder so i move my hand away. "You don't have to worry about it Harume, as long as you're here." She looks up to me with her foggy glasses and smile.

We exchange our thoughts and conversations on that night and it was just Karin, Harume and i just drinking coffee until the clock hit midnight.