- 43 -

The normal bustling of Aether Paradise Labs has now slowed to a small trickle of dedicated workers.

Mohn watches the last of the researchers gather their things and head home for the holidays. He aimlessly wanders the empty offices, looking at all of his co-work's family pictures, scattered across the rows of desks and cubicles. Dimming the lights, he decides to lock up early and head up to the breakroom.

The main lobby is almost as empty as the labs.

The emptiness is a solemn reminder to Mohn of his lack of family. Sure, they exist, but what if they have moved on? What will his place in their life be exactly? They sure didn't seem in any big rush to meet him, it's already been over six months since he was found.

Mohn lets out a labored groan before opening the doors of the breakroom, expecting more emptiness.

"Found him," Gladion says as the breakroom doors swing open.

I set my cup on the counter and turn, Mohn is already headed in my direction.

"You are just who I needed to see right now," he whispers as he gives me a firm squeeze.

"Is everything okay?" I whisper, the tone of his voice has me quite concerned.

He shakes his head as he anxiously touches his face, blinking back tears. Gladion glances nervously over at me as he notices his father's distress. I carefully take his hands in mine, looking deep into his worried, green, eyes.

"I know there's a lot on your mind today, but you have nothing to worry about. I wouldn't say that if I didn't mean it."

"Why don't you spend the morning with us? You shouldn't be alone today," Gladion says, "I was just about to kick everyone out."

"Oh, I'm sure you two don't want me hanging around."

"Please!" I plead, giving Mohn the poopy lip.

I reach for the gift on the counter behind me and hand it over to him. His eyes light up as he peeks into the tinsel packed bag.

"You shouldn't have!" Mohn gasps, clutching his chest.

"What'd she get you?" Gladion asks, peeking curiously over his father's shoulder.

"It's a helix fossil!" Mohn exclaims as he carefully pulls the ancient rock from the bag, showing it to his son.

"Cool?" Gladion says, trying to act excited. He clearly has no idea how special they are.

"I might have to get this one resurrected! Or maybe I'll put it on display. I don't know yet! But I love it, thank you!"

"Well, I'm going to go let everyone know we are officially closed. I'll see you when I get home."

Mohn watches as the doors swing shut behind Gladion. Once he is out of ear shot, Mohn nudges me on the arm, "I'll see you when I get home? Does that mean-"

"I just got done unpacking my stuff this morning!"

"I don't know what's going to happen tonight when I meet my family, but knowing you will be here, it means the world to me."

"You have nothing to worry about, I meant that. You'll see. Regardless, I'm so happy we will be neighbors now!"

"Me too. I'll feel much better about living here with you around. I've been a nervous wreck since I got here."

"I'm sure it's weird, after all those years-"

"It's terribly hard. I hope it hasn't been too long, I don't feel like I fit in with people anymore. Gladion has been looking into this experimental treatment for me. He tracked down this woman named Dr. Fennel from Striaton City. She uses dream therapy to retrieve the memories of Pokemon, and she is looking to start human trials soon. I think I'm going to sign up."