PROMPT: 1

PROMPT: Your're a background character in a musical who is just trying to run errands; you're pretty sick of cashiers and wait staff abandoning their jobs as they break out in random songs. 

"Hi, how are you doing today? Did you find everything alright?"

"Yes, thanks," I said, who answers no to this formality of a question?

"Really?" the cashier inquired, "Are you sure you don't need a little bit of Help?"

"No, I found everything just fine," I replied, hoping this wouldn't go any further.

"Oh," the cashier dismayed, "Well if you need somebody, just say...."

And before I could even swipe my card for the vanilla extract and peanut butter I was on a mission for someone from the self checkout complied with the cashier.

"Help!" they cried in unison, sandwiching me with the new atmosphere they were trying to create, "I need somebody, help!"

My cashier was now leaving the register to help the self checkout lane which seemed oddly unfair. "Not just anybody?" they said as the disregarded my effort to force them cash so that I could leave the store.

"Help!" Aaaand I was out the store. As I left I could hear, "When I was younger.." and then I shut my car door. I was not about to put up with this again.

I had tried to do the local mom and pop store to support the town, but if this was the way things were gonna fly, I am gonna have to go to Target.

I should have gotten the hint when "Hello, goodbye" was playing in the store over the intercom, but I was on a mission to get the vanilla and peanut butter. When I finally grabbed both, I got in the only line that they had open at 10 pm, behind a young 20 something pair that could have been a couple.

As the cashier started to ring up their first few items, one turned to the other almost singing, "Oh, yeah I tell you somethin" At which point the cashier winked to a non existent camera, singing, "I think you'll understand!"

One of the couple was now getting down on one knee, "When I say that somethin'"

Before I could even try to move into the self checkout area that closed in 2 minutes I was cut off by the red shirted staff coming out of the card and home ware sections singing, "I want to hold your haaa aand!"

You could hear two things in the parking lot as I left, the screeching of my honda odyssey's front wheels and, "Oh Ple ee ease"

I pulled into the inter city Walmart. I was on a mission. I needed this peanut butter and vanilla. I knew what was going down. Yeah. I said it. You can't fool me with your act. I am a seasoned musical warrior. I knew what was coming as soon as a mother from the clothing section called out for her son, "Hey! Jude".

I am not proud of what I did, but I overheard the stocker's conversation, "In the town where I was born. Lived a man who sailed to sea."

I left the store. It is not that I don't appreciate the Beatles, but of all the songs that is the one that I don't enlist to. It put me over the edge. Like I said, I am not proud of what I did, but I shoplifted that night.

When I got back home with her peanut butter and vanilla I called out. She had already gone back to sleep but she came back to greet me because she knew that I had gone out for her craving. "Babe!" I yelled, I am home. Yeah it was one in the morning. But she had no idea what I had gone through for her craving. "I got the vanilla flavored peanut butter you asked for."

"Oh," she yawned, having forgotten about what she had asked for. But she tried to recover, "I need your love babe." Sure, she didn't sing it but I tensed up.

She saw my reaction, "I guess you know it's true!"

"AHH!"

"What is it babe?" My wife said.

"Nothing, it was nothing."

"Was it the beatles dream again?"

"....No"

"Alright, it's going to be ok," she said, snuggling into me, "just hold me."

I went rigid.

"love me"

I don't know if any of you are Marvel readers, but the All-New Guardians of the Galaxy did a John Lennon tribute today so if you are at all interested I would definitely recommend it.