ix. In the Neighborhood

Florence had just gotten back from hunting, feeling fully satisfied with the deer's blood running through her veins

Florence had just gotten back from hunting, feeling fully satisfied with the deer's blood running through her veins. She didn't hunt often due to her aversion to killing which often left her in a much weaker state than most other vampires. 

Entering through her sun room entrance, Florence shrugged off her overcoat and rested it on her sunroom chair before entering her mud room through a set of french doors. Using her enhanced hearing, she could hear shuffling coming from within her living room. Cautiously walking around the bend with an unplugged lamp in her hand for potential protection from the assailant in her living room.

As soon as she rounded the corner, she came face to face with a head of blond hair. Florence screeched and hit the curly haired blond with the lamp right in the head.

"Damnit, Flor," the hunched over figure groaned in pain.

Florence dropped the broken lamp on the floor once she realized her mistake. The figure was no assailant. If Florence hadn't let her adrenaline and paranoia get to her, she would have taken time to notice that the figure in her home didn't have blood flowing through their veins. The mysterious figure was no other than an immortal, a Cullen at that.

Florence bent down to stoop to Jasper's level in order to see his face, "I'm so sorry, I - I didn't know it was you. H-How did you get in my -"

"You left the door unlocked," Jasper sighed.

"But why are you - ?"

"I was," Jasper began, "Just - uh - in the neighborhood."

"Uh huh," Florence began, "I see. Well, in that case, I'm sorry I attacked your face with an unplugged lamp, but I'm going to have to ask you for forty bucks."

"For what?" Jasper laughed out.

"For breaking my perfectly good lamp," Florence said seriously, gesturing towards the blue shards of glass that had fallen off of the base and now sat on the floor.

"Well I believe you owe me a kiss, then," Jasper proclaimed.

"Uhm - for what?" Florence felt more flustered by the statement then she would like to admit. 

"For breaking my perfectly good face," Jasper mocked.

Florence and Jasper both laughed until Florence realized how close Jasper's lips were to her's. The smile slid off of her face as the mood shifted in the room. Jasper stared into Florence's eyes for a moment, neither shifting their eyes away from each other, before he started closing the already small gap between their lips.

Their lips barely brushed before Florence realized what was happening and pulled back from Jasper's light embrace, "Uh - you'll get your kiss when I get my forty bucks."

Jasper cleared his throat, "Fair enough."

Jasper realized from his place on the couch that Florence was still on the floor, "Comfortable chair you're sitting in."