Chapter Seven

Every time I cracked my eyes open or peeked out form under the covers I had a pair of glowing amber eyes staring directly at me. Matteo's gaze was so intense and unwavering, it was as if he was burning through me and into my soul.

"I want to hurt you so bad..."

"It would be easy..."

Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep.

When I heard Matteo enter my room, my eyes snapped open and I jolted out up from the bed. He picked up my pack off of the ground and tossed it into my lap, "We leave in five." And then I was alone.

I let out a soft breath as I stood from the bed and tugged on jean shorts and a simple shirt before slipping on my sneakers and heading out of the room. My hands were shaking as I smoothed the front of my shirt down once I made it down the stairs and into the front room of the mansion.

I wasn't alone anymore, Amias and Francis stood by the front door with backpacks similar to mine. As much as I wasn't fond of anyone in this pack so far, it was definitely a relief knowing that I wasn't going to be stuck on my own with Matteo for days on end.

They both looked over at me, Francis didn't look too pleased to see me but Amias' eyes immediately lit up. "Olive!"

I rubbed my arm awkwardly before giving him a small wave. "Hey, Francis, Amias."  I took a deep breath, "I didn't know you two would be coming."

Amias opened his mouth to enthusiastically respond but Francis swooped in, "First off, I don't go by Francis, it's Fran."

Cool, she hates me. Lovely.

"Second--"

"We weren't supposed to come but Healer Maina has a bunch of people to tend to so she sent me, her best student obviously...And then Fran is here because something came up with Asa so now instead of having the best warrior in the pack, we are stuck with the second best." Amias teased his friend and nudged her with his elbow but it didn't get much of a reaction from her.

I knew what happened to Asa as I recalled the events of last night on the staircase.

This was such a different version of Fran than I remembered from when I was waking up but then again I was still pretty doped up on sedatives so I can't think too much on it. What was particularly interesting was how different members of this pack seemed to be.

Usually, packs all had the same type of people more or less. But so far in Malice, there are brutish and terrifying wolves and then there are some like Amias who are light hearted and not scary to look at. It was perplexing and I would have to do some investigating on that.

Amias dropped his elbow that was still poking into Fran's side at the time and immediately straightened, I frowned and turned around to see what changed his mood. It was Matteo of course.

His dark hair was pushed messily off of his face and he wore dark jeans and a black long sleeve shirt that he pushed to his elbows. I'm sure if he hadn't destroyed my pack, murdered people and kidnapped me I would have found him to be attractive. But seeing that Matteo had done all of those things and so much more, his appearance only gave me fear. I wasn't some damsel in distress who was going to let him off of the hook for his monstrous atrocities just because he was hot as f:ck.

Matteo didn't say a word to anyone as he walked past the three of us and through the front door, I stood staring at his back wondering how he could be so arrogant all of the time when Fran cleared her throat and gave me a soft nudge.