Chapter Thirty Nine

Amias, Devin and Fran paraded inside of the entryway all the while Amias grumbled under his breath about inappropriate public displays of affection.

My first reaction was to scoff and roll my eyes but as I rolled off of Matteo and my back pressed soberingly against the cool, marble floor. It was like I was coming down from this massive runner's high. All of the euphoric adrenaline that had been coursing through my system vanished, Amias and his righteous judgement brought me back to earth instantly.

I clambered up off the floor, causing Matteo to follow in suit standing with a low groan as he sought to help balance me. He held an arm around my waist as I surveyed the room.

My father.

He was still on the floor in a pool of his own blood, unmoving and mute. If it weren't for the crimson pool around him it would almost look like he was sleeping.

But he wasn't sleeping.

Matteo followed my gaze across the room and tightened his arm around my waist, turning me away from my father. It was almost as if he could feel the impending emotional crash, I was coming down from the climax and I realized that I lost both of my parents today—more importantly, I lost my father today.

God I felt so stupid, moments ago I'd been all over Matteo just feet away from all of this carnage.

He pressed his lips against my hair, "Don't beat yourself up." Matteo murmured lowly, "You're a brand new wolf experiencing everything fully for the very first time. We all respond in our own way."

Matteo's gaze flickered across the room before giving my shoulder a comforting squeeze. "Take it slow."

I took a deep breath, Amias walked over to my father and covered him up with some sort of curtain he'd taken down from a window I assumed. Letting out the breath I'd been holding with a nod I turned my gaze up to Matteo and looped my arms around his neck. "What's going to happen next?"

Matteo looked down at me with a newfound fondness and parted his lips but as he began to answer me, he was cut off  by a sudden interruption.

"Do you guys hear that?"

It was Devin.

We all turned to face the lone vampire, the room fell silent as we all collectively tried to pick up on what Devin was hearing. I got nothing.

No one did.

Fran furrowed her brow, "You must be hallucinating because there's no way a vampire could ever have better hearing than a werewolf."

Devin ignored Fran and her snarky remark entirely as he shook his head and pressed on. "You guys don't smell that either?"

I shook my head as did the rest of our group.

Devin ran both hands through his hair, seemingly out of frustration before he wordlessly took off down the empty hallway; going after I guessed whatever he'd supposedly heard.

Fran frowned and after a moment of blankly staring after Devin she returned her attention to Amias and helping him with all the aftermath.

Matteo rolled his eyes irritably and gently took my chin and returned my attention back to him. "Olive, we get to go and live our lives." Matteo paused, "Together."