Chapter Twenty Eight

Recap: ...The door in the far corner blowing off of it's hinges. It flew across the space and collided squarely with Ansel's chest, sending them both sliding backwards, trapped underneath the massive piece of metal.

I screamed and immediately rushed to go and help Ansel but a loud growl froze me to my spot. There in the shattered doorway stood a rather angry looking brown wolf with all too recognizable amber eyes.

Matteo had come for me despite our last exchange.

He was a little too late though because as it turned out, I didn't need his saving after all.....

"What the hell is your problem?" I shouted over at Matteo as he was in the middle of shifting back into his human form while I took the opportunity to walk to Ansel. He was unconscious and I honestly didn't know if that was a good or bad thing in the moment.

Most likely bad.

I crouched down beside him and attempted to lift the metal door from his lifeless body when Matteo grabbed me by my forearm from behind and tugged me away from Ansel.

"What the hell is my problem?" He hissed venomously, "I spent all this time trying to track you down and save you from that maniac who kidnapped you, and this is the thanks I get?"

My eyes narrowed automatically, this was the Matteo I was most familiar with. "For the record, people who do good things for the benefit of others and not for themselves, don't need validation for their good deeds." I retorted and tried to removed my arm from his grasp but he only tightened his grip, "And Ansel is not a maniac, he needs help!"

Matteo laughed coldly, "Right, like that's going to happen. We are leaving, Olive."

My lower lip trembled as I stared up at Matteo, I searched his face for any shred of the other version of him, the nicer one who actually gave a sh:t about me. He met my gaze in full force and in that moment I felt every ounce of his alpha title. Matteo was making a silent display of his authority, daring me to say otherwise.

I was the first to break the stare, my eyes dropping to the floor, "If there is even the smallest part of you that genuinely cares about me please let me help him."

For a split second I felt Matteo's grip on my arm lighten and I knew I had him. The next time I tried to pull away, my arm broke free. Immediately I rushed back to Ansel's side and began to try and lift the heavy piece from him.

The muscles in my arms felt like they were going to tear apart from the effort I was exerting and yet the door would not budge, I wasn't strong enough. I groaned nervously as I looked back down at Ansel and saw that he was slowly beginning to stir and come to which only pushed me harder to keep at my efforts.

I shoved my shoulder into the side of the metal and suddenly the door miraculously lifted with exceptional ease. My small smile of accomplishment faltered as I looked to my side and saw Matteo standing above me, lifting the entire metal door with a single hand like it was made of paper. He tossed the hulking piece of metal aside and as if on cue Ansel coughed awake, Matteo reached around me and grabbed Ansel by the neck of his shirt effectively lifting him from the ground to his own eye level.

"Stop, let him go!" I pushed off of the ground and protested against his treatment, "Ansel wants to help us, he wants to get rid of Lysander too! He didn't hurt me, Ansel doesn't mean any harm."

Ansel began blinking slowly, clearly struggling to regain complete consciousness and wrap his head around the sudden change of events at the same time. He immediately began thrashing around in Matteo's grasp but his efforts were useless, Matteo was far stronger than Ansel. A concept I was all too familiar with myself.