The Party

I smooth down my dress. Exiting the ballroom, I make my way to the balcony, politely excusing myself from the "lovely" conversation I was having with Mr. and Mrs. Dewit.

"Goodness, you gave up that fast?", I hear childhood friend Abby Grovner say in mock surprise.

"Shut up. I was stuck talking to the Dewits! Dreadfully boring. They certainly love to talk of themselves. I got a full summary of their recent trip to their vacation home in the country." I finish.

"Language! 'A proper lady must always have the correct language when at home and in public, in case one should overhear you'" Abby states, mimicking to perfection my mother's disapproving voice."And consider yourself lucky," she continues,"I just managed to escape from the Montagues."She is smiling but I can tell she is a bit downcast.

"Oh darling," I say, touching Abby's arm sympathetically."I am SO sorry, did they bring up your status again darling?" The Montagues felt the need to bring up the smallest imperfections in any family and then rant on about the subject. They loved to point out the fact that Abby's mother committed suicide, which is an unacceptable way of death in society. The Montagues, in any other circumstance, would have slowly stopped receiving invitations and faded out of rich society due to their insensitive attitude but they happen to be one of the richest families in New York, right below mine. Their son is no better. Although good looking, he has the same omnipotent attitude as his family, knowing only too well the power he has in our group, as the Montagues also own shipyards, though not as extensive as my families and a newspaper.

"I will be just fine. Such insufferable swine they are." Abby says, looking down with a sigh.

"Insufferable swine?Are you perhaps speaking of the Montagues?" Adam Eibenson our dear friend says, walking around the corner. He puts his hand through his dark brown hair, very much like mine.

Abby looks startled for a moment, but quickly regains her composure, hiding her blush. I smile ruefully, knowing all too well she fancies Adam."Why yes we are Adam." I say."But I must say. What foul language you two use!" I bite back a laugh, though a smile still slips through.

"Oh hush now," Abby scolds playfully."Just now you said something unladylike yourself. You shouldn't be one too-"

Adam cuts her off."Now now girls. We mustn't be too loud hence we alert the whole party the daughter of the host is out here instead of in there. But truly, Elizabeth, I came out to inform you that your mother and father wish to show off their daughter to everyone. You best be off. They won't be too pleased to find you here."

"Well, you are most certainly right." I agree."I must be off then. Wish me luck." They wave and smile and I know too well that they want some alone time. I make my way through the crowds, politely avoiding conversations and suitors. I mentally prepare myself for my mother and father and put a bigger smile on my face and head up to the front.