0 ━ REFUGE

ALL NIGHT EVA LAY AWAKE, A
cigarette between her lips. Earlier that day, she had heard her mother mention going to a bar. So Eva had already prepared for the moment her parents arrived home.

 The fighting downstairs had been going on for several minutes. From what Eva cared to gather, her father had checked out a younger girl, possibly only just twenty-one. And while his wife had gone to the bathroom (or so he thought), he had attempted to get her number.

 Now Mr. and Mrs. Healy screamed at the tops of their lungs, sometimes hardly making any sense. That was the way it usually went—their arguments were utterly ridiculous, but it was something to fight about, so they inevitably took advantage. It was their daily routine: go out, get into trouble, go home, fight.

 Fifty percent of the time, the couple's fights escalated physically. Tonight was one of those nights.

 It was when the first blow was delivered, instantly followed by the shattering of glass, that Eva climbed out of the warmth of her bed and pulled on her long, black combat boots. She remained in her earlier day's attire: a pair of light skinny jeans and a red long-sleeved top. All she had to do was pull on a jacket, her only winter coat, gloves and a beanie. And then she pushed her bedroom window open.

 Snowflakes invaded the night air, falling heavily and pure white from the ebony sky like small stars. For a moment Eva rested upon the roof of her house, admiring the view. And then she dropped to the ground—not too long of a fall—and set for her only refuge.

 Snow had begun to coat the black seas better known as streets, glittering underneath the dingy yellow street light. In spite of the frigid air nipping at the girl's skin, the snowflakes provided a sense of security; they seemed to light the darkness, and prove to Eva that she was not moving in the night alone.

 Soon the Gallagher household rose into view. Eva stood at the gate, gazing upon the golden-lit windows, admiring the laughter from inside. Of course, even nearing midnight, the house would be buzzing with activity—electric with an undeniable love. Something that felt foreign to Eva.

 The truth was that she envied the Gallaghers. Such a large family with so many troubles and tribulations—and somehow, through it all, they radiated with love. Eva had an older brother and sister, twins, who were fortunate enough to escape the Healy family nightmare. Her only potential younger sibling had been stomped out of existence by her father when her mother was six months pregnant.

 And so Eva was alone. Especially since she moved to the Southside of Chicago. Except...Debbie Gallagher was insistent upon changing her mind. So she made a few friends. But Eva feared that they would never have time to grow to love her, if it were possible; either her parents would kill her during one of their rages or they would be evicted for the twelfth time and she would never see the Gallagher family again.