4 ━ STUPID

THE LATE MORNING LIGHT BURNED the backs of Eva's eyelids. Upon finally waking, she was annoyed to find that the curtain had been pulled open.

 However, the mouth-watering aroma of bacon invaded the air—and the smell alone was enough to pull Eva out of bed. Wiping at her tired eyes, she glanced in the mirror: her long, chocolate waves were presentable, and her emerald eyes were no longer swollen or bloodshot.

 Eva hurried downstairs then, eager to eat. Of course, the moment she stepped into the view of everyone in the kitchen, Carl was there to look her up and down. She paused at the foot of the stairs, glaring at the boy, daring him.

 What could he possibly say about her "outfit" this morning? She wore gray sweatpants and a pale pink V-neck—nothing that revealed cleavage or bare thighs.

 A mischievous smirk curled Carl's lips. His eyes twinkled. "You know," he began, his voice slightly husky, "with the way your hair is and in that shirt...you remind me of this really hot porn star."

 Eva's face fell flat, and she simply fixed him with a tiresome stare. Everyone in the kitchen giggled—including Liam and Veronica.

 "I hate you," Eva finally sighed; her voice did not contain hatred.

 As Eva made her way to make a plate, V—who stood at the refrigerator with Fiona—said, "Carl, that's definitely not the way to hit on a girl."

 "He says stupid shit like that all the time." Eva rolled her eyes, pulling a plate from the cabinet, and proceeding to load her plate with bacon, eggs, and biscuits and gravy.

 "Young love," Fiona beamed, eyes full of amusement.

 Eva scoffed. "Please, don't make me throw up."

 From the table Carl watched the younger girl's movements with careful eyes. "Just admit it, Eva," he teased. "You know you want me."

 Eva pointed a crispy piece of bacon in the boy's direction, her eyes wide with warning. "You know I'll stab you, Gallagher."

 "He annoys her and she acts like she hates him," Fiona loud-whispered—knowing that Eva would hear—to V. "But I found them yesterday morning sleeping together."

 Veronica gasped, mouth stretching into a surprised but satisfied grin, and Eva whirled to face Fiona. The warning had not left her eyes. "Fi—"

 "And," Fiona continued, smirking, "that isn't even the best part."

 "Fiona—"