9 ━ ANGEL

THE NIGHT OF CHRISTMAS EVE,
Eva had slept beside Fiona. It was a change, and at first it was awkward, but she found that she was quite comfortable with the woman.

 In the morning, Eva was shaken awake. Her eyes fluttered open, and she was startled to find Carl hovering over her.

 "Get up, Gallagher," he smirked.

 His face was dangerously close to Eva's; she felt his fresh, minty breath fan her skin, and the goosebumps they caused. Groaning, she pushed him backward lightly by his forehead, massaging the backs of her tired eyes with her free hand.

 "Am I going to have to change my name to Gallagher now?" she mumbled. "I don't think they meant it literally."

 Carl sat on the edge of the bed, beside Eva's legs. He watched her with curious eyes. "Only if you want to. You could always just marry one of us."

 The words sent chills down Eva's spine—the image flashed briefly behind her closed eyes, of her in a white gown, and Carl staring at her with loving eyes. Her eyes popped open, desperate to clear away the thought. It wasn't possible.

 "Guess I'll take Lip," Eva spoke, pleased that her voice did not shake. "I'd take Ian, but unfortunately, I'm not his type. Maybe Debbie, but she's not my type, either."

 "Are you bisexual?" Carl inquired, truly curious.

 "No. I'm straight. That's why Debbie isn't my type, stupid. Keep up."

 His plump lips quirked. "I had to ask. There were a few times that I thought you might have had the hots for her, like when you were telling her not to be jealous of you and warning her of Elliot and shit."

 "Guess that's just how I am," Eva shrugged. "Not that any of it helped. She still believes the asshole."

 "What exactly happened?"

 Eva sat up, ripping the covers from her body. Carl's eyes trailed downward, to the strip of her pale skin visible from the risen fabric of her tank top. At least she wore sweatpants to bed. But Carl's eyes still lingered for an awkward moment, until Eva pulled her shirt down.

 "He was being creepy and scooting close to me," Eva explained. "Nothing really happened. But Debbie walked downstairs, saw how close we were, and automatically assumed that it was my doing. I'm over it, honestly."

 Now that Carl's eyes met Eva's, she could see the concern in them. And she also did not miss the way his cheeks were now colored pink.