b a r b i e [darcy]

My hands ran through my hair, watching the sun through my window as it came up from its sleep under the fields. My breath shook as I waited for my alarm to go off. It was now less of an alarm and more of a reminder that I had to get up and go on with life. The beep came, as it always did. I stood, going through the motions of any other persons morning routine. Other than the few moments I took to change Darcy's barbie's outfit. She left it at my house and insisted that I change it's outfit every day until she came back for it. I kept doing it, even though Darcy could never come back for it.

That day, when my life practically ended, the doll wore Darcy's favorite, a pink dress with a gold belt and a pair of white Mary Janes. I changed it's outfit again, to a red pant suit, and continued on with my morning.

I heard a knock on the door and a honk. I rushed down the stairs, sticking to the bright halls and the warm rooms. The dark places of the house scared me and the number of panic attacks they caused was particularly troubling. I opened the front door and my eyes flashed. Bright lights blinded my view and screaming followed them into my head. I panicked, my eyes scanning for Alfie. He would grab me and throw the monsters out, but these were people, there was no one left to grab me. The noises and lights brought me to my knees and I scrambled back, fighting the flashes and sinking into the wall, covering my head and cowering. Soon enough a kind paparazzi was next to me, trying to get me to speak or tell her what was wrong. I showed my refusal with a shake of my head and a gasp. She asked for a doctor or someone and an ambulance soon roared into my drive. Everything was dark because I covered my head, and panic attacks ensued from my fear of the dark. I sobbed into my arms and shut my eyes. The war outside between the paparazzi and paramedics raged on, but the sounds were gone now, I just shut myself up in my head, imaging the Barbie and in it's dress and Darcy's smile and her laughter and Louise's motherly gaze and everything that I loved about that.

I opened my eyes and found myself in a hospital bed, a nurse checking some machine and a familiar bag next to her on the couch.

Alfie's bag.

On the chair by my bed was a Barbie. In a pink dress. With white Mary Janes. And a gold belt.

Laughter rang through the halls. Jim's laugh. Joes laugh.

The nurse smiled at me, noticing my confusion. "Welcome back darling."

I stared back at her and she chuckled.

"Week long coma. We thought you were gone, but here you are. God loves ya girl."

"But...are my friends alive? They drowned."

"Drowned. Maybe in hospital soda and laughter, but water? No."

No.

EMILYS NOTE:

shortest chapter ever but I know I let everyone down. there will be about 2 to 3 more chapters within the next 2 months,

lacrosse has taken over my life. also I posted the first draft of this chapter like an idiot ugh.