01:00

the day we met;

we were the kids that played on the swing sets and built sand castles at the park on a sunny afternoon but unbeknownst to us, it was when we first fell in love.

Afternoons in May were never my favorite. But I hated the sticky feeling of sweat dripping down my back and forehead also the prickly feeling of the sun rays attacking my toddler skin. It wasn't the ideal playdate that I had imagined but seeing you there running around with a towel flowing lively behind you made it seem worthwhile.

I was drawn to your smile the first time I ever saw you.

Even though I had complained to my mother about the sand making their way up to my underwear, I didn't mind sitting beside you in the sand box as you made what looked like a bustling metropolis through a toddler's eyes. You were imaginative even back then and you already had a different perspective early on in life. I was jealous of how you were able to see through the norm and pursue your ideas with confidence.

You played with my hair and chased me around the playground. We played on the swing set and climbed to the top of the jungle gym even though I was afraid of heights. After that, we ate ice cream until our bellies were full and laughed even more. Those were the first memories we made together.

I often wonder what happened to the kid with the pure and joyful laugh, whose bright eyes shone every time an idea pops into his head. I often find myself asking, where is the boy that I fell in love with? Or was falling in love with you a mistake?