02:00

winter 2014

you always used to give me trinkets or play me songs and say, "this reminds me of you" — when we broke up i asked, "what do i remind you of now?" you said, "a broken heart" and left

You looked at me from across the room and smiled. There was a flurry of snow falling down behind you but it wasn't as strong as how my heart beats at the sight of you. I sometimes wonder if anyone could hear it and would make fun of me behind my back. Then again, that's what happens to every girl that falls in love with you.

Not everyone knew this about you, but Winter was your favorite season - I loved that I was the only one who knew. It felt like you had shared more of your soul to me than to anyone else, like I had something of you for myself.

I remember Madison's party - the one where we got snowed-in and had to stay the night. I remember because it was the first time you held my hand.

"Are you cold?" You asked knowing I was already freezing. Still, in between my teeth chattering, I managed to lie and said I was fine.

You held my hands in yours without another word. It felt like time stopped for just a moment and we were the only two people in that cabin. I looked into your eyes and you looked into mine. I swear, my heart almost burst with joy.

We smiled to each other.

And that was the moment I knew, I had truly fallen in love with you.