A Late Arrival

I hadn't moved an inch when the door bell rang at noon the next day. I unlocked it and moved aside to let my dad in. He seemed larger than my room with its sparse furnishing of a bed, two pouffes, a reading table, and a collapsible wardrobe. The tiled floor was bare of rugs and carpets. I also had a few books and stuff strewn here and there.
"You can take the pouffe." I offered.
"Thanks." He sat.
"Sorry I didn't fix anything. Hope you're not hungry." I asked.

He frowned.
"Did you have breakfast at all?"
I shook my head in the negative.
"Seriously North? Why didn't you tell me to bring some over?" He continued.
"The mention of that house kills my appetite." I said, deflating him.
"It's not as bad as you think." He began.
"It was for me." I stood my ground, turning to brush my hair.
"You take life too hard. You're horribly thin. Men like curves you know. Starving yourself is not right!" He lectured.

I rolled my eyes, please...
"Men like curves. Yes. What do they do to maintain it? Nothing! Let me alone dad. All men can drown for all I care!" I said, adding quickly, "Except you of course."

He nodded appreciatively.
"So, shall we?" He pointed to the door.
"Let me pack." I stood to zip open my wardrobe.
"You haven't packed yet?" He asked in amazement.
"Yep." I replied, "I kinda hoped you wouldn't drop by.
"Let me help." He offered, ignoring my candid replies.
I shrugged and let him. A few minutes later, we were out of the gates and zooming into the highways.

The door was barely open when Meredith, Rhapsody and Georgina tackled me in a bare hug. My lungs almost collapsed, but I managed not to fall from their weight, thanks to my years of training with The Academy, a military security outfit. Gina helped me with my mega sized backpack and we walked into the main house amidst laughter and chatter.
"Why did you pack such a small bag?" Meredith asked in displeasure.
"Its a wedding, not a fashion show." I pointed out, "And besides, I'm only staying for two days."
"That's so not true!" Gina protested. "There's the after party!"
"You missed the shower. You can't miss this one." Rhapsody agreed.

My step mother walked into the room.
"Mom! Look who's here!" Gina called.
She stared at me as one would a ghost and walked away, causing the girls to frown in disapproval.
"Seriously?" Rhapsody shot. "What was that for?"
"Let her alone" I said, unaffected by her actions.

She never liked me and never would. I wasn't the first child to be born to single parents before they married again, and I definitely wouldn't be the last. She could drown in her bad blood for all I cared!