My Idea Seems Lame

Fast forward to Saturday morning. The days had come and gone noticeably well with my step mother giving me the ghost treatment all the way. I didn't mind. Its not like I spared her a glance myself.

Meredith was almost fully dressed when I marched into her room. She looked celestial in her waterfall bridal dress and the snowflake designs on her midnight hair. I beamed with pride as I watched aunt Jenny put finishing touches to her make-up. Gina waved from behind as she clasped Meredith's skirts in place, and viola! They were done!

We hugged amidst aunt Jenny's warnings.
"Don't ruffle up the bride! That make up took long to achieve!"
We disengaged.
"You look awesome." I appreciated. "David will fall in love all over again."
"He has no choice!" She agreed, sitting on her bed.
"Hey, I got you something." I began, picking up a microchip stud from my pocket and pinning it on the skirts of her gown. Her brows shot up quizzically.
"What is that?" She asked.
"A tracker." I informed.
"What for?" She queried.
"Seriously?" I stood hands akimbo, "You work with the Navy! Tell me you don't know what it's for."
"I know what's it's for, thank you. Why are you pinning it on me?" She continued.
"Weren't you the one whose boyfriend came threatening two days ago?" I reminded. She rolled her eyes in boredom.
"Its just empty threats and you know it. Adam never had balls to his brain!" She assured me.
"I don't believe that." I said.
"Good for you. I can beat him any day." She boasted.
"Even in a wedding gown?" Gina interjected from the dressing table where she was busy applying her make up. Meredith sighed dramatically.
"The perimeter is secure. I have some of my men watching the church and reception area. I'll be good. You worry in vain." She assured.
"Yeah, well let me. Just keep the device on. Its well concealed in your dress. Its new too. I need to check how it works anyway." I said.
"Okay." She agreed grudgingly. "Damn security outfit!"

I frowned.
"We're very good! If your mother had allowed dad to sponsor me, I'd have been in the Army. She deligently snuck Rhapsody in instead when the form was actually mine!"
"Gee! Are you still stuck on that? we're sorry. Rhapsody never knew it was yours. You can still apply for the Army you know." Gina soothed.

I sighed. I shouldn't have said that.
"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to bring it up. It just came out of nowhere. But The Academy gave me all the training I need for survival. I can stand down any military official anytime. I will not listen while you speak ill of it." I informed.
"Fine!" Meredith stood. "I'll leave the chip just to humour you. I'll not be your guinea pig next time though."

She clumsily left the room, dragging her multilayered skirts for easy movement. Gina brushed her cheeks with a flourish and stood, picture perfect.
"You look good." I admired.
"Thank you." She said. "You should have worn a dress like the rest of us. Meredith likes a crowd."
"And have your mom staring brimstones at me? No thanks." I said. "I'll pass. I've done the best I can. I came."
"Yeah you did." She agreed. "Sorry about Meredith. She's more like mom without the malice. Don't let her get to you."
"That's why I'm not being her bridesmaid." I revealed.
"You are wise." Gina agreed. Placing a hand on her hair to check if the pins were holding up.
"What are you guys waiting for?"

We jumped at the sudden interruption. Rhapsody was standing at the threshold.
"The cars are ready. Come on up!" She added hurrying out of the house with us close at her heels.