Ulquiorra's pov

They were finally asleep. Maaya had been giving me lip the entire time, while Orihime tried to hold her back.

Their relationship was so perplexing. Unlike us, they had people who they'd do anything for. That's not a way to survive.

Orihime was too weak,physically, to protect Maaya the way that Maaya protects Orihime. But if Orihime could protect Maaya she would. She does what she can.

I wanted to leave the room, but I couldn't.

My orders were to keep them alive, no matter what.

Maaya had Orihime wrapped in her arms, almost as if she was trying to tuck her away from the world.

Humans were so hard to understand.

Why was it that Maaya was the one to make me so interested in learning about them?

Why did she bring me these foolish emotions? Why did I want to keep her safe no matter what?

I paced back and forth as I tried to make sense of the emotions that were plaguing me.

Still trying to act cold and emotionless was increasingly difficult.

Whimpers startled me out of my thoughts. My eyes snapped to the girls.

Maaya was tossing and turning as she slept. She had rolled away from Orihime and was hanging off of the mattress.

I cocked my head to the side curiously.

Was she crying? Was she still asleep?

"NO!" She screamed, jumping out of bed. Orihime woke up as well. Maaya's red hair hid her face now.

"Orihime I'm okay, go back to bed," she whispered to her. Orihime's face showed that whatever was happening occurred frequently. She nodded her head and laid back down.

"We'll talk in the morning," Orihime whispered before falling back asleep.

It was pitch black, I knew she couldn't see me.

Maaya had tears rolling down from her eyes.

The want to go to her was almost unbearable. But I will not let some human make me feel this way. I will not allow it.

"I know you're there," her words escaped her mouth, but they seemed strained.

I said nothing, trying to disprove her.

"I can feel your spiritual pressure." She whispered. She was being quiet for the girl to sleep.

I walked closer over to her.

"Why are you crying?" I asked her.

"No reason." She answered. I cocked my head to the side.

"Why are you lying?" I asked her.

"I'm not. I told you nothing." She huffed at me. If I wasn't supposed to keep them alive, I would have strangled her because of her always talking back to me. No one disrespects me.

"Your tone of voice says you are lying." I stated simply.

"Look, it's none of your business. Can't you stand outside of the door or something and not be in here?" She asked and I felt something in my stomach.

"No," I said coldly.

It probably would be safer for the girls if I was out of the room. Maaya's red hair was disheveled from sleep and she looked exhausted. 

"I'm not going to harm you," I told her. 

"You almost crippled me the first day I came to. You didn't even have to try," she grumbled. 

"I didn't realize how delicate you humans truly were." 

"But what does that have to do with you not hurting me anymore?" She asked. She was staring at me, even though I knew she couldn't actually see me. 

"I didn't purposefully hurt you. It was by accident. I've grown accustomed to your company, and you still have to teach me about the other emotions." 

She didn't say anything.

"But do not think that you can say whatever you want to me. Disrespect me and you will be sorry," I said firmly to her. 

She glared at me, and I couldn't tell if I was mad that she was glaring at me, or amused because I easily made her irritated with me.

Getting under her skin was mildly entertaining 

"Go back to sleep," I told her. I needed to go to a meeting.

She rolled her eyes at me, but laid back down. I waited until I was sure that she was asleep before leaving the room. I locked the door, trying to take at least one precaution to protect the girls. 

I walked down to the meeting room, Aizen had called an immediate meeting, but I didn't care if I was late. 

"Finally," Nnoitra mumbled when I entered the room. 

Aizen looked at me and smiled, but I could see the underlying irritation with me. 

"Now that we are all here. We have intruders. It seems that Ichigo finally is here for the girls," he said, a smile still playing on his face.

"Let's go and fight," Grimmjow said. His aura screamed that he wanted to bolt out of the room now.

"No. Patience. It will take a few days before they even get here. We will be calm." Aizen put his hand up his face, leaning his head on it. He looked relaxed. 

Everyone else was anxious to fight. Everyone wanted to end Ichigo, he was one of our biggest threats.

"Let's kill the girls now. We got him here, they are useless to us," Szayel said and he turned to look at me. His eyes were glinting with humor and anticipation. 

"Maaya is mine to kill," Grimmjow growled out. Anger flowed throughout my body, my fists clenching under the table. 

"No. I'm filled with a room full of idiots," Aizen spoke dully.

"Hey!" They exclaimed.

"Ulquiorra, tell the girls that they came to save them. If they cooperate, I will spare Ichigo." 

"No you won't," Grimmjow said confused.

"That's the point you idiot!" Nnoitra yelled.

"What is it that you would like me to have them do?" I asked. 

"Bring them here when they awake. I want them to use their powers tomorrow," he smiled.

I nodded my head to him. 

I was worried for them, for Maaya. Aizen was a cruel man, even to me. I didn't want the girls near him, but I couldn't disobey him. 

"Good. Dismissed. No one better go and try to fight them." Aizen said as he stood and left. 

Grimmjow and Szayel were arguing with Nnoitra. I slipped out of the room and went back to the girls. 

I never thought I'd think anything this, but Ichigo, you better hurry.