The Unfortunate Birthday

It was a horrific night on Maduellis 5th birthday, she was celebrating in the morning with her parents, laughing and enjoying themselves like they never had before, as though they knew it would come to an end. Odd things happened earlier that day, it was extremely gloomy the moment they stepped out of the house but when they got in the car the sun was shining like you'd never think it could, it was as though the sky was fighting. Owls were flying around rapidly, all carrying letters like something important was coming up, the majority of the owls had torn, ruffled feathers and scars in various places, if you were smart enough you would obviously see that it would be the work of owl fighting, but that was banned among the wizarding community years ago, but dark wizards continued to do it for their pure entertainment, this made it obvious to Alexis and Tysel that something dark was happening.

---

They decided that it would be best to leave Maduelli at their neighbor, Miss. Thomas's house, during the middle of their visit to the museum; while they went to the ministry of magic, which to their daughter is known as "the book club", to discuss the issue.

Maduelli hated it there, it smelt of moldy bread and stale wallpaper and the drunken woman would leave her to look after Cecilia, the small child of Miss. Thomas. Maduelli was horribly frustrated that her parents would leave her in the rotton place at all, let alone on her birthday! After almost three hours of watching Cecilia sleep while trying to count the amount of mold spores on the cradle, her parents came to take her back home. The pair looked extremely panicked as the rushed their daughter home while they paid Miss. Thomas. When they arrived home they started to rush around the house collecting cans of food and bottles of water, leaving the upset Maduelli in the lounge room.

"Can we please just have my cake now" Maduelli sobs.

Her parents look at the snot-stained girl as they remember its her birthday and the already missed half of it.

"Of course, how could we forget, how about we have it in the basement, go down their now and we will bring down the cake" Her father replies , patting her head. Her mother passes the last box of canned food to Maduelli giving her an upset smile.

As Maduelli makes her way down the stairs, pondering on the fact that it is an exceedingly strange place to celebrate a birthday. She hears the door slam behind her and lock.

"We are so sorry Elli!" Her parents yell, We have to do this, you'll be okay, we promise!

Maduelli loves when her parents call her by her nickname, Elli, but this time they say it in fear, as though its the last time they ever will. Maduelli starts screaming but she is interrupted by a wicked laughter as her parents share distressed words with each other.

---

She rushes to peak under the crack in the door, her parents feet are visible, along with a pair of tall high heels and next to them is a long, dark, gloomy cloak.

"So, you think you can just go behind my back and plot against me?" says a low croaky voice. The woman in heels stumbles over in laughter revealing her pitch black frizzy hair.

"Kill them! Kill them now!' She screeches between giggles.

"No! let me think' he replies in anger, "Tell me where your hiding the child!" He exclaims!

Alexis and Tysel whimper and refuse to say anything.

"Crucio!" The woman exclaims which is followed by her mothers screams and her father yelling for curly haired woman to stop.

Maduelli knew she had to do something to make it stop.

---