Finally (27)

The cabin in the woods was abandoned to all appearances. The road leading up to it was partially grown over. Leon had warned him about it and yet he still managed to miss the drive way twice.

Jake wanted them to show their faces but first he wanted to make sure Sherry was up to par. She'd been on leave because she'd been stressed. And now she was a fugitive on the run. While in the states they were officially dead, several countries around the world had released their images as criminals under various names. He'd watched the news feeds with a little surprise, but who had he been kidding? He knew not everyone would believe they were dead. Those people after the Immortality Virus were definitely high up on the food chain.

Which unfortunately for Jake made the states safer than the rest of the world. At least for the moment.

Jake shrugged that off as necessary. At some point they wanted to be caught, but not yet. He began to wonder if Leon and Claire were making any progress. His only objective was to take out his half-brother. Inflicting some of the pain he caused Sherry would be a bonus. He didn't even consider what he'd gone through at his hands comparable to what Sherry had experienced. Crazy doesn't run in the family? Yeah right! Wesker's words came back to him just then. Mercenary work is hardly a job for a sane person, don't you think?

The motorcycle roared right up to the front door. He studied their surroundings for a moment and then moved it to the back before they got off. Sherry yawned and made a move to the front door. Surprisingly it opened easily. There was a breeze blowing through the small building but no wildlife that he could see.

Jake grinned. "Leon was right, no one has been here for a while." Spider webs laced the windows, catching dust and gnats, other than that the place was empty.

Sherry looked at him. "Abandoned?"

"Leon told me about this place because it's not on any safe house listing, or even written down anywhere."

"It looks like a hunting lodge," she muttered noticing there was just one bed in the tiny cabin. She shifted uncomfortably as Jake pushed in behind her through the door. "There's just one bed."

He glanced at it and shrugged. "Let's not pretend I won't end up in bed with you by the end of the night anyway." He muttered under his breath. He was thinking about her nightmares so he was unprepared for the spots of pink that blossomed on Sherry's face. He glanced at her and noticed her embarrassment. He tried to change the subject. "Why don't we get a fire going in here?"

She turned a brighter shade of red. "What?" He exclaimed throwing up his hands. "Jesus Christ, what is the right thing to say here?"

"It's just...well..." she tried to explain, lapsing into an embarrassed silence. "Those are all phrases...that mean..."

He rolled his eyes again. "America," he muttered under his breath. Edonia had its own euphemisms for sex...he decided to not mention any of them right now.

For the next few moments he didn't say anything, concentrating on coaxing a fire into the small fireplace. He reflected on Sherry's embarrassment for a moment and couldn't help but smile. Sherry had been around the world and seen so many bad things, but there were still a few subjects that made her blush like a school girl.

He unpacked their food, dropping some of it into a small cooler as he tried to figure out their next moves.

He knew she could shoot and was cool under pressure, but he wanted to see her hand to hand combat. He had the feeling she was going to need it.

"Do you think Leon and Claire are ok?" She asked as she rolled out their sleeping bags. They had been working methodically and quietly and her voice startled him.