Part 28

Her eyes drifted open slowly as Sherry inhaled deeply. Her head was resting on Jake's arm. He was laying behind her with an arm casually thrown over her waist keeping her next to him. His warmth surrounded her against the cold the permeated the cabin. The fire was down to glowing embers.

Jake.

Her thoughts flew to last night and her face turned pink. Grateful that he was still asleep she snuggled back against him pulling the blanket up to her chin.

He coughed behind her and she froze, not quite wanting to wake him or move just yet. He coughed again, it was a deep sound that made Sherry roll her eyes. The man had the antibodies to fight off the C-Virus, which turned humans into Zombie like creatures called J'avo, and yet the common cold gets in?

"You going to lay on my arm all morning? Not that I mind, but I really need to take a leak." Jake's voice startled her out of her reverie and she lifted her head off his arm her face going an even darker shade of crimson.

"How did you know?" Sherry asked, keeping the blanket pulled up against her chest.

"Super girl, I've been listening to you breathe for the past few days," He muttered, sitting up himself. He grabbed his pants and proceeded to stand up and let the sleeping bag fall away from himself as he pulled them on. Sherry turned away. He smirked at her reaction, but wisely didn't comment on it and simply walked stiffly into the small bathroom. "Everyone breathes differently when they wake up." He called back.

The cabin was small and cold, so Sherry slipped on her pajamas and put wood into the small fireplace intending to light a fire. Jake emerged from the bathroom, noticed what she was doing and proceeded to light it for her. "Cold?" He grinned. His own arms were covered in goosebumps. "How are you feeling? You know..."

"I'm fine." She snapped. A little too quickly. Which made him smile a little regretfully.

"Sherry, I'm sorry if I hurt you...when we...you know...when I..."

She turned to his face. "I'm fine, Jake." It was inches from hers and she closed the gap quickly and kissed him on the lips hard. She felt a sort of satisfaction when she heard him gasp in surprise before wrapping his arms around her and pulling her into his lap. Too bad we can't stay in this cabin forever. Sherry mused.

A few hours later found them finally dressed and outside. It was cold and snow littered the ground, their breath showing in the breeze. Both of them in their winter coats and pants.

"I know you can shoot super girl," Jake stared at her. "But I want to see your hand to hand."

"It's not bad," she said defensively.

"I know...but what if you have to take on an Ustanak?" He grinned remembering their last encounter with one. Sherry narrowed her eyes. It wasn't as funny to her that the big creature had chased them down. It had knocked her 20 feet across a clearing, a hit which would have killed a normal person.

"Fine," she said dropping into a defensive crouch. She didn't think she'd survive a beating from an Ustanak and after what had happened to her at the hands of Wesker Jr., she wasn't sure she wanted to. Healing from that would be awful.

Jake came at her swinging, she managed to block most of his hits, an upper cut grazed her jaw as she moved a fraction of an inch too slowly. He paused. "You ok?"

"I'm fine," she said rubbing her jaw. "But I'm going to end up dead if you baby me."

"Baby you?" He paused, not admitting that he had been going easy on her, even when they both knew he had been. Besides she was right no one else was going to go easy on her because she was a woman. "Fine Super girl," his voice took on a low dangerous tone.