Chapter XX

Two years ago...

Parting ways was never easy.  It seems that James has parted with everyone in this point in his life.  His relationship with his father finally reached its boiling point.  When James found out about his father blackmailing Devon through her family, everything crashed around him.  Knowing his father can cut competition into pieces was different to experiencing at first hand. Now he knows how ruthless he can be even with the people his own family loves.

James relationship with his friend Sam is already on rocky shores.  He has seen and heard how Sam professed his love for Devon.  It seems that Sam is ready to pick up where he left off.  He slammed his hand on his steering wheel hard.

Devon.  He must have her back. He opened the driver’s door and got off the car, kicking and cursing.  How cruel can life be, when the only one thing you wanted so bad is something that you may not get back.

His cellphone rang. Looking at it, he felt no desire to answer the call, but putting if off will only make matters worse.

“Mom,”  James answered, trying to sound callous.

“God, James,” Mrs. Rocafort cried. “Where are you?”

“Around,” James replied quietly. 

After leaving his office, he has been wandering the streets while driving.  His car took him into an isolated road in a hill, probably leading to one of the far-flung barangays.  The hill has a perfect view of the city, with a small grassy park perfect for those who wanted fresh air and quiet.  He parked into a grassy place which seems to be a frequent picnic site during morning and a parking area at night.  There were three concrete tables and chairs, between the two tall trees.  The trees gave two old men shade while they play chess.  Another car was parked on the grassy lawn, two people, lovers probably have opened their doors and were talking and silently laughing. 

Devon would have loved this place, he thought.  The thought of Devon constricted his chest.  His mother’s voice brought him back to reality.

“James, Sam came here looking for you. He told me you were upset,”  Mrs. Rocafort nervously stated.

James snickered.  Upset seems to be a mild word. Knowing his mother, she must have grilled poor Sam to know the details. Serves him right for meddling into his business. His mother may have known everything by now.

“I’m moving out of the condo, Mom,” James replied coolly, making up his mind just now. 

“Why? Where will you stay?” Mrs. Rocafort asked.  “It’s your place, James. You own it.”

“Which Dad paid for,” James argued.  “I’m done, Mom. I am done with everything. I am resigning, I am leaving that condo, and I will start anew.”

“James,” his mother said sadly.

“Bye Mom, I’ll call you,”  James promised sadly.