Chapter XXIX

The morning sun greeted the city warmly.  James, who was still tucked under the tree, is slowly drinking a warm cup of taho he bought from a peddler passing by earlier.  He can’t remember the last time he ate.  He forced himself to buy a small cup hoping that it will be enough to sustain him for the entire day. 

He did not move out of the shade of the tree.  As the hours passed and as the shadows became shorter, he remained there.  By noon, the cold wind meeting the hot sun was enough to keep him comfortable under the tree. But his palms are now clammy and cold.  The hunger and lack of sleep is catching up with him.

He decided to sleep a little, leaning against the tree.  He closed his eyes and dreamt.

He was still sitting on the hill and the sun was setting down fast.  He was concentrating on waiting so much that he failed to notice a shadow approaching him slowly. The cold touch on his shoulder scared the life out of him.  He turned around so fast that he fell forward.

He was shocked when he saw her.  She was wearing her favourite blue t-shirt and faded jeans.  Her hair was pulled behind her head in a loose ponytail, allowing him to see her face completely. Her face was scrubbed free of make-up, like what she wants, but has that fresh and healthy radiance. There were no dark circles under her eyes, her cheeks no longer hollow.  She even gained weight.

“What took you so long,” it was the first words he said.  He was angry. “I was waiting here for days!”

She smiled.

“Everyone told me that you’re gone,” James accused her.

She continued to smile, although it was a sad smile.

“And now you’re smiling? You think that this is funny?” James’s voice starting to rise. 

“I know you’re scared,” Devon said calmly, taking a step towards him.  “Believe me, I was scared too.”

“You’re dead,” James softly admitted.

Devon took another step. “I know,” she sadly whispered.

“You are dead. You left me. You left me!” James shouted.

Devon took a step forward, and James took a step back.

“You promised me that we will be in this together, but you freaking left me!” James shouted angrily. 

“You know that this will happen,” Devon answered, taking another step and catching James’ hand.

“I can’t lose you,” James pleaded.

“You won’t,” Devon answered. She touched James’ chest, just on top of his heart.  “I will always be here.”