Chapter Six

Your eyes gradually opened to see your black laptop screen, and after lifting yourself off your keyboard, you could feel the indents the keys had left on your face. Rubbing a spot on your nose, your jaw dropped so a yawn could escape and you could start to wake up. You'd lost track of time while working last night, you must've fallen asleepーan uncommon occurrence for you while doing something so feverishly.

Pushing back from the desk, you bumped the chair back with your legs as you stood up and stretched. At least your grey chair was comfy enough to sleep in, proof of this being you weren't sore at all. You patted the top of the chair before closing your laptop and heading down the stairs.

(B/F) was nowhere in sight and it had to be at least 8, she should be up by now. You didn't call for her yet, as you hadn't swept the whole house and you were still coming to all your senses. If you didn't wake up by an alarm you tended to be a lot more sleepy in the morningーthat's why you always woke up to some form of alarm.

Hearing your phone ringing, you took the stairs two at a time to reach your room to catch it. Hitting the button to answer the call before even picking it up, you said a hello loudly. When it was up against the side of your face, the person answered.

"(Y/N) you didn't tell me you weren't working today," Cosette said disapprovingly.

"What do you mean? I am working...." you trailed off as your eyes caught sight of your clock sitting on the nightstand beside your bed, the green letters showing you it was 10:23 a.m. "I'll be there in 5 minutes." You ended the call and tossed your phone onto your bed as you rushed to find some clothes to pull on.

All while you were dashing around the house, you scolded and beat yourself up internally. This had never happened before, and you never planned for it ever happen your whole life. Being late to work meant you were a slob that couldn't care less about working, and that was the exact opposite of what you were.

As you flew out the door, you screeched to a halt when you remembered you left your phone inside. Sprinting as fast as you could back indoors, you snatched it off your comforter and back out the door you went.

You were at 5 Lives in 3 minutes, and while you'd admit you were speeding, you had good reason to. Pulling into a parking spot close to the shop unlike an employee should, you unbuckled your seatbelt before you were fully stopped in the spot. You popped the door open while turning off the engine and pulling out the key, and you were inside in less than 7 seconds.

Cosette was behind the counter with a partially amused, partially dismayed expression. "That was actually 5 minutes," she said.

"I better apologize to the boss," you started speaking your thoughts out loud as you paced back and forth. You felt awful, like you were lying without saying anything.

"The boss doesn't know," she came around the counter to make you stop ruining the carpet with your nervous pacing.

"He doesn't?" You started wringing your wrists as you glanced around the store. The boss rarely visited but you still would've thought Cosette would've asked him where you were, not knowing it would get you in trouble.

"Look, all ya gotta do is pretend-" The door to the store opened and in walked the man himself you both had just been talking about. He was a pudgy man, not obese but clearly overweight, and had about an inch of hair around his chin that he was growing out so he could have a beard. His casual attire was what you'd expect James to wear, a faded shirt with some unknown trademark of a company you'd never heard of and khakis, but unlike James, your boss had a couple stains on his shirt.

He noticed your panicked looks and his eyes narrowed. "What's up?"

"Nothing!" Cosette blurted, worsening the situation. You were a much better liar and briskly stepped in.