vii. in real life

CORI HAD STARTED DRUMMING her fingers against her coffee cup as she waited patiently waited for Tom's arrival

CORI HAD STARTED DRUMMING her fingers against her coffee cup as she waited patiently waited for Tom's arrival. Being nervous was a understatement; I mean, she was still mad at the boy but, deep down, she was over the moon.

Her head was bowed until it shot up by sound of the small bell dinging at the door, signaling someone had entered the small shop. As she looked at the door, there he stood. She stood up as he approached her table so she could greet him properly.

Tom had stopped right in front of her to take a good look. She had changed so much since the last he saw her; she obviously got a lot taller, her hair was cut shorter and she looked a little tired. His thoughts were interrupted by her voice speaking out.

"You know, if you take a picture, it'll last a hell of a lot longer." She said and laughed. Tom smiled at her.

"Well- I, just haven't seen in forever, I guess." He said before pointing his stare on to his shoes. She nod awkwardly before offering to take a seat at the table. They sat there quietly, before she spoke up.

"So, how's acting?" She asked, looking up at him. He gave her a soft smile before continuing. "It's good, I'm shooting for a film at the moment," He said. "What movie?" She asked questionably.  "Spider-Man." He said simply.

Cori choked on her coffee as she heard what her friend had said from across her. "You're in what?" She asked. "Spider-Man," Tom repeated. "As who?"
"Spider-Man." He repeated again, sounding more amused. "I can't believe you!" She whispered-shouted at him, out of excitement of course.

"I didn't either at first, but, here I am." He empathized by expanding his arms out. She smiled at him. "That's amazing, Tom! Really, it is." She said. They both sat there in a comfortable silence before Tom spoke up.

"Enough about me, how are you?" He asked sweetly.
She smiled softly at him. She took a breath before continuing. "Um, well I express my artistry on the internet. As in, writing my own music, and doing covers of other songs. All that kind of jazz." She said.

"That's great!" He said happily. "I've been egging you on about doing that for years." They laughed. "Yeah, I know." She quietly. Tom took the chance then to apologize in person.

"Cori, I'm sorr-"
"I know."

"What?" He asked. Cori fiddled with her fingers in her lap as she continued to speak. "I know you're sorry. It's really hard to forget, I felt very alone for a long time. But, since you're here, I can try rebuild the connection we had."

"We can rebuild the connection we have." He said with a soft smile. She gave him a sad smile before finishing her small speech. "I will forgive you at some point, it just won't be now." She said quietly.
"That's okay."

She gave him a small smile before they stood up. "Thank you, it means a lot that you decide to see me, since i thought you hated me." Tom said looking at her. "Yeah, that's what I thought too." She said and smiled.

Out of impulse, Cori wrapped her arms around his neck and hugged him. Tom stiffened for a second before wrapping his arms around her waist. He closed his eyes as held her in his arms, taking advantage of the moment.

Cori let go after a few seconds of hugging him. They turned around to walk out of the coffee shop. As they stepped outside, she turned on her heels to walk away before saying a few words. "I'll talk to you later, okay?" She said. Tom only nodded as a reply. She grinned before walking away.

"See you around, Spiderboy." She shouted as she walked into the direction of her apartment. Tom stood there for a second before shaking his head and smiled as he walked away.

◦◦◦◦