Whispered Words

He pulled away slowly, leaning his forehead against hers carefully, his pale blue eyes looking for her warm brown. His arm still holding her close, not wanting to let go just yet. This kiss had been nothing like the quick peck on the lips they shared back when they were fourteen. This one was so much more intimate, longing, loving, almost as if they both had waited an eternity for it. He made a silent promise for himself that he would not wait another six years.

When she finally opened her eyes, he smiled at her. Neither of them said anything, instead he continued to gently caress her flushed cheek. Just a few days ago he hadn't dared to hope for this to happen, he thought he didn't have a choice at all. He was on his way to get married, a political marriage, not out of love. He liked Luna, he really did, she was a dear friend to him, a sister almost, but that was all that he ever felt for her.

And then there was this girl he had known since he could think. A childhood friend, one of his best friends for many years, who seemed to know him better sometimes than he did himself. Who, without him realizing it, had become so much more than that. And then when he finally realized it, when he finally knew what he wanted, the chance to decide for himself was taken from him. But now, here he was, holding her. For once he had been given the chance to choose for himself, and he made his choice.

Thinking back on all of this, he softly placed another kiss on her lips. Just a peck, before he let his hand slide from her cheek to let it take hold of hers. He knew that they would have to let go of each other soon, but he wasn't ready to let her go just yet. He wasn't ready to face the harsh reality again. He wanted to be himself, just for a few more minutes. Not the Crown Prince, not his Majesty, simply Noctis. He closed his eyes. Just a little longer.

When she saw him close his eyes, she smiled. She rested her head against his shoulder again, burying her face in his neck. Just a few days ago she wouldn't have dreamed this would ever happen. Even when he had kissed her just moments ago, she was sure it was her imagination running wild. But when she had realized it wasn't, so many emotions ran through her at once. The most prominent one was fear. That he was just acting out of impulse, that he would push her away once he realized what they were doing.

But when he pulled her closer and held onto her, the fear was gone. Relief, bliss, happiness and longing taking over. That's when she put her arm around him as well, wanting to hold him, making sure that she wasn't just imagining it. After the last few days, she didn't think she could take it if was just her mind playing tricks on her, or if he would come to regret it. But the kiss ended, and he didn't let go. Even now they were still holding onto each other.

Yet she still wasn't sure what this meant for them. She shared his sentiment, some things were hard to say as he had pointed out. So instead of saying it, he showed her. And she hoped that she had shown him that she felt the same. But again, what did it mean for them? Just a few days ago, he was on his way to get married to Luna. Yes the marriage was cancelled, but just because everyone assumed them to be dead. So, what would happen if they found out that they were indeed alive?

Would he still follow through and marry her? Was this just a distraction from everything for him? No that wasn't like him. In fact, now that she thought about it, she'd never seen him with a girl before. Then again, most of them just liked him because he was the Crown Prince. Noct could be an idiot, but he wasn't that dumb. She sighed and closed her eyes, what was she doing? Instead of enjoying the moment she sat here, rambling in her head.