Bruise on the Leg

Warning: Extremely Strong Language! Continue at your own risk!

-

February 12, 1980 USA vs SWE

"Welcome to the Olympics, gentlemen."

Lining up for the inital face off, those parting words from his coach resonated throughout him, allowing the weight of reality to finally sink in. He had arrived at the Olympics in peak form, never missing a training session, nor ingesting a cheat meal. This moment was crucial. As was the next, and so on. There was no room for error, no time for nerves.

As the puck dropped, Soderstrom shot it back to his defenseman so that the Swedish team could set up their offense. Circling, they set out into the American defensive zone, leaving each player scrambling to pick up a man before any shots went off. Once a slapshot was taken, Rammer dove to the ice, blocking the puck with his body. Reaching, he successfully knocked it out to Magic, who began rushing up the right side, trailed by Eric.

Robby had begun to break out of the zone as well, darting across the center line, ready to receive a pass at any moment. Pressed by Tomas Jonsson, Magic had no choice but to shoot the puck around the boards with hopes that his left wing would obtain it in the corner.

Eyes set on the target, Rob sped down the ice as fast as he could in a race with Ulf Weinstock for possession. Failing to reach the puck first would result in Sweden gaining the opportunity to break into the American zone at a numerical advantage. On the world's stage, he refused to let that happen.

Rob knew that if he did not act quick, he would be taken out of the next play. Just as his stick shot the puck along the left side to Kenny, Robby leaped into the air in an attempt to avoid the heavy mass that was barreling at him. In a matter of milliseconds, his body was smashed into the glass by 200 pounds of muscle. In that moment, he felt his right thigh ram into the ledge where the boards met the glass, a surge of pain taking his breathe away. Falling to the ice, he yelped in pain, fear overtaking his mentality.

Struggling to get to his feet as the play returned to the opposite side of the ice, Mac managed to hobble to the American bench, where Phil was waiting to grab him and pull him over.

"Alright, easy! What's the matter?" Phil inquired calmly, as Doc rushed over to examine the injured player.

Panicking, Rob exclaimed through heavy breathes, "My muscle feels like it's in a knot under my skin!" As he was helped into a sitting position, Doc began to assess the situation.

"Does this hurt?" Doc questioned, pinching the muscle underneath his thigh, to which Mac responded with a loud scream. "I'll take that as a yes."

Scanning the bench for Herb, Doc yelled, "Herb, I'm taking him out!" Supporting the injured player, he helped him hobble to the locker room, where the trainer assigned to the team by the Olympics began to check him out.

"Upper leg contusion. I think you're done for the night, buddy. Let's get you undressed and into an ice treatment."

Lying on the training table that was in the middle of the small locker room, Rob took his hockey gear off, laid back, and wrapped his leg in the enormous ice pack supplied by the trainer. As thoughts of his Olympic run ending ran through his head, the door swung open and the room filled with the rest of the team.

"How's it looking?" Riff inquired, setting his stuff down.

"Not good."

"Keep your head up. You'll be okay," Magic whispered, giving a supportive tap to his winger.

Outside the locker room, Herb began questioning Doc Nagobads as to the severity of the injury. "What's the deal with Mac? Can he play?"

"He has an upper leg contusion."