Sunflower Boy (Part One)

This chapter is dedicated to sylvvice because they always comment and like all my chapters despite me ignoring them. I'm sorry!! I'm just really shy!! Don't feel discouraged because of me not responding!!
***

“Hey Mr.Heere, is Jeremy he(e)re?” I asked. He wasn't answering my calls and I was a little worried.

“Y-yeah he’s in his room.” I start to walk in but he stops me. “Uhm Michael! Can I talk to you?”

“Sure?” I sat down on the old couch.

“You knew Liz, didn't you?” His back was turned to me.

“Y-yes sir. I did.”

“She was my sunflower girl.”

The room was dark, only illuminated by the sunset outside the small window. The ambiance nostalgic to the better days.

Mr,Heere wasn't in the stuffy living room anymore. He didn't see the tan leather couch that clung to your thighs or the old blankets strewn about. He was in a memory, his vision glazed over with visions of his sunflower girl. So I listened.

“When we met, I knew it. She was tall, bright, eccentric, a little different from the others. Everyone is, though.” He paused. “God, Jeremy is so much like her…” Silently, I agreed. He had described Jeremy perfectly.

“One day, when Jeremy was just born, he wouldn't sleep. And I was beyond frustrated! I need energy to care for a child!”

“He’s a sunflower too, Rin.” Liz looked towards the baby, who was tugging at her hair lightly.
“Hmm?” Rin frustratedly hummed.
“I think i understand now why you call me sunflower girl. I see it in him. The only difference is our eyes. Mine are brown, like the middle of the flower. Which is sort of symbolic if you ask me because that's where the seeds are and he is my little sunflower seed. But his eyes...they captured the sky. Miles and miles of sky live in there. The exact color of the sky from our first date…”
Rin was turned towards the duo now, looking into the baby's eyes.
“Our date at the sunflower meadow…”

“She was always smiling...even when she was wilting…” He coughed, continued. “After she died, I knew I had to care for her sunflower. Jeremy was the last thing I had of her…so tell me. Is Jeremy your sunflower boy, Michael? Do you love him?”

I took a second. The way he had described Liz, was how I felt for jeremy. I knew the answer.

“Mr.Heere, Jeremy puts breath in my lungs. He gives me reason to wake up. The world doesn't deserve to see his smile, but when he shows it, it lights up the room. I promise. Jeremy is my sunflower boy, forever and always.”

“Good.” He pressed a folded piece of paper in my hands. “Nice seeing you, Michael.”

I waited until I was outside Jeremy’s door to unfold the thick paper.

It was a faded photo of a beautiful woman with golden hair and deep brown eyes. A splash of freckles dotted her button nose. On her shoulders sat a boy, no older than two. Jeremy. They were in a meadow of flowers.

I entered Jeremy’s room, the picture deep in my pocket.