~fifteen~

A/N:

To clear IPCC, one has to not only pass overall but also pass in each subject individually.

If all these author's notes seem too technical and boring, just sit back and go with the flow. :p I'm just doing my part with informing you guys.

*****************************

"Your turn."

Vedant nodded softly, still quite alarmed at her puffy eyes and red nose.

Okay now Vedant, focus on your result.

He typed in his details and once again began the painful task of waiting for the stupid webpage to load. After a fairly long time, it finally opened.

Meera busied herself with tying her hair into a pony tail till Vedant was done. She wasn't worried about him failing. Even before Vedant and her came to talking terms, if she would've been asked to name the most deserving student from their coaching classes, she would've taken his name without even batting an eyelid. That instant however, she was more psyched about her own result. She'd just passed, with four marks than what was needed.

This was either her incredible luck or God really existed and understood what would've happened if she wouldn't have cleared this very time.

On cue, Namit Mehta's thought crossed her mind and she instantly cringed at the thought of all the family pressure she'd had have to endure with getting married to him if not for her result. Now, she could stand up to her Father. In fact, she would even had a stipend she could call her own.

Her thoughts had trailed off, but every part of her was aware of Vedant next to her. She was worried for him, even though he'd done something as horrible as reading her diary.

She didn't quite realize the exact moment she forgave him. Was it when he was gracious enough to let her go? Was it when he spontaneously admitted to have felt something for her? Was it when he earnestly apologized? Or when he didn't judge her even after reading the circumstances she'd grown up in?

Maybe all of it combined.

But she knew she'd forgiven him.

She could still feel the sensation of his arms around her. The hug had been so impromptu on his part, and hers too. Nothing in the past that she could recall had ever felt so right. That was what was alarming. Hugging Vedant had felt so normal, so natural, so comforting. As if it was something they did every so often, like....like breathing.

And to think Vedant was nothing but a stranger.

Suddenly, she seemed to notice the silence that had ensued between them. It was normal for her to not speak much, but Vedant?

"Vedant..." she called gently, trying to keep her voice as neutral as possible.

He already had an overbearing family to deal with and she sure as hell didn't want to add to his worries with a tone full of expectations.

He turned towards her, his lips pulled up but sad, so sad she didn't need him to say anything. And to her complete surprise, he actually didn't utter a word, just shrugged, passing her the laptop.

This can't be! She told herself.

How can I clear but not him?

She gazed at the result with shock. His overall total was fifteen marks more than hers. He had two exemptions. He'd cleared Group 2 single handedly but he'd failed in Tax; by just two marks.

This is so unfair!

She didn't know how to react or what to say.

Vedant had done way better than her, in every subject. Except Tax.

She heard a deep sigh next to her and instantly turned towards Vedant, he looked like he was thinking of something very deeply or more like preparing himself for something.

"Do you...do you want to send your Tax paper for revaluation?" Meera asked tenderly.

He simply shook his head. Neither of the two spoke a thing. And honestly, she was in no hurry to leave him. She just couldn't.

"You can carry on you know? I just need some more time to myself before I deal with my parents."

Even the thought of leaving him alone in a state like this made her stomach flip in a way she'd never experienced. And before she could subdue her emotions, she was shaking her head vehemently with a no.

He looked quite confused for a second, as he pried, "Why?"

She could only sigh in response. "I can't." And then after a pause, "I don't want to."

"