5: THE CLAN

Image: Wolfpack in Snowstorm by Don Li-Leger

Soundtrack: Strength Of A Thousand Men by Two Steps From Hell

***

"Lauren?"

A low grunt follows from within the stranger's tent. I shrug off the feeling of being watched; there are others here in the middle of nowhere, but since Lauren's the only one I've met, I long for her company. I need answers.

I stalk through the snow, suddenly aware that I'm barefoot. I wince as the icy tendrils seep through my skin, but to my surprise, it actually feels rather nice.

"Can you tell me what's going on?" I ask uncertainly. "Where are my aunt and uncle?"

The flaps of Lauren's tent fly open and she emerges so hastily she almost tumbles head-over-heels into the underbrush. The ghostly woman rubs her eyes against the midday sun, stretching and releasing an unladylike yawn. I frown, waiting patiently for her response.

Lauren clears her throat. "Adolphus? You there?"

She blinks a few times, scanning the campsite. Because that's what it is; there are multiple tents set up in the clearing. Poplars and aspens frame this little abode, deep in the wilds of Alberta. A large fire pit rests in the centre, with a full-fledged roasting apparatus set in the dead centre. I stifle a shiver at its implications.

A strong baritone reaches my ears. "Alpha? What is it?"

Alpha?

An elderly man emerges from a nearby tent. His skin is caramel and his eyes are a soft chestnut. A well-trimmed grey beard blankets his jaw. He looks to be in his sixties or seventies, but he shows no sign of fatigue. In contrast, Lauren looks like she hasn't slept in days. She has bags under her eyes, and her silvery hair is dishevelled.

"I'd like you to look after Skye for a while." Lauren turns to face me, surveying my wrinkled clothing. "She's finally awake."

My mouth drops open. Hey, it's not like I had a choice in the matter.

I blink as the elder approaches me, extending a hand and giving me a warm smile. I offer my hand and he grasps it in both of his large, calloused ones. His eyes crinkle at the edges as he regards me with a strange kind of admiration as if he's known me for years. I flick my eyes towards Lauren, forcing myself not to shrink away from the immense figure.

"My name is Adam Adolphus," the man tells me, "Beta of the Sheep River Clan."

Ah, so that's where we are. Sheep River. At least I'll be able to find my way back to the city. Hopefully.

"Wait. Adolphus?" I ask with incredulity as it dawns on me. "That's Margo's maiden name..." I glance up, taking in his dark skin and kind, caramel eyes. "Wow, it's been ages. Last time I saw you was—"