10: SUNDOWN

Image: Night Park Bench by buskeros71

Soundtrack: Silver [acoustic version] by Daniel Massey

***

"Shh. It's okay. I've got you." David gently soothes Sean as he takes a closer look at the wound. The Lycan cries out in agony and his skin begins to ripple. "Don't Shift. Stay with me. You're okay."

I glance around for any witnesses. We're in Fish Creek Park, a gigantic swath of tall brown grass and spindly trees, their leaves having already dropped upon the chilled ground below.

It's in this bed of dried leaves that we lay Sean, face down so that there isn't any pressure on the wound. His head lies on its side and his eyes are crinkled into a tight manifestation of pain. I wince, averting my eyes from the little Lycan. The ground is darkening underneath him and I don't want to think about what that means.

Thirteen kneels beside the boy, wrapping his companion's torso in a bandage that David had pulled from his backpack. The fabric immediately stains red – a crimson so strong and harsh that my heart just about stops. I squeeze my eyes shut to distract myself.

Please no. Please let him live. Let him be alright.

Frowning, David continues to fish around in the pack, eventually withdrawing a small canister that contains pills of some sort. "Take this," he commands, holding out a tiny white pill for the boy. Sean shakes his head. I reach down and hold his hand. Thirteen does the same, bringing his lips close to the child's ear.

"Sean, remember the times when you were hurting and the nice man gave you something small and white? Remember those times?"

Sean nods his head, wincing with the effort.

"Shh. Stay still," I tell him softly.

Thirteen takes the pill from David and holds it in his palm for Sean. "It'll make you better."

As if on cue, Sean opens wide. Thirteen gingerly places the object on the little Lycan's tongue. Sean swallows it with a loud gulp. He squeezes my hand even tighter and continues to cry out in agony.

I return the squeeze, hoping the pressure will help Sean forget about the pain. If we don't keep him quiet, he'll bring attention to our hiding place in the thick bushes of the park. If that happens, we're all dead.

"Sean. Look at this." Thirteen makes a funny face. His expression is fearful, though, and Sean senses this. The child's eyes grow wide and his breathing halts.

"I'm gonna die, Thirteen," he chokes out.

"No, you're not," the older Lycan tells him firmly. "Not while I'm here. I'm not letting you."

A smile appears on the boy's lips, spreading like wildfire across his features.

David reaches down and rubs Sean's shoulders gently. "Look at the sky. Wow!"