7: FERALS

Image: Lonely Highways by Ethan Killian

Soundtrack: Highway To Hell by AC/DC

***

David's silver pickup speeds down the backroads of southern Calgary, rapidly approaching the civilization where the Covenant awaits to tear us apart.

I glance over my shoulder at the three Lycans crammed into the backseat. Mr. Adolphus, his daughter Margo, and the old woman, Sejka – each awards me with a wide smile. We'd strapped our backpacks into the truck bed. David told me that the clan had modified the packs so they'd still fit when we Shifted to wolf form. The thought of a bunch of wild animals wearing knapsacks almost brings a smile to my lips.

We'd stopped at our townhouse, where I'd stuffed a meagre amount of clothing into the pack.

"What about Max?" I ask suddenly, imagining a furry face and bright, welcoming eyes. "What if something happens to us?"

"Your dog knows how to take care of himself," Mr. Adolphus says. David meets his eyes and some silent thought passes between the two of them. What an odd response. Margo's dad has never met Max, has he? Maybe David's been telling the clan all about us, while keeping me in the dark. How nice of him.

"Mike will take care of Max," my uncle reassures me. "He's aware that I have time constraints this week."

Margo laughs. "Hah! Time constraints. What an understatement."

David ignores her. "We have less than an hour to get in and out."

"We?" My aunt raises her eyebrows.

"Well, just me," he replies softly. "Lauren wanted Skye to come in with me, but—"

"Definitely not!" Margo gasps. "I still don't understand why one of us can't—"

"I'm not taking any chances," David interjects as a highway comes into view. He hits the gas and merges onto the desolate four-lane the exact moment AC/DC's "Highway To Hell" plays on the radio.

Seeing the look on my face, my uncle flips the switch. Unable to get the chorus out of my mind, I release an exaggerated sigh to disguise my fear.

"Tell me about Ferals." I adjust my Flames toque and tuck a disobedient lock behind my ear. There's an uncomfortable pause before my uncle speaks again.

"Ferals?" David asks reluctantly.

I shrug, unable to get the chorus out of my mind. "Lauren mentioned it last night."

"You come from a long line of shapeshifters, Skye. Your mother is human but your father and I were born as Lycans. The curse – or blessing as I like to call it – was passed on to you. Most were born into their shapeshifting abilities, but some were Changed."