ONE < The Dorm

"Could you at least try to do something that makes me not want to completely and utterly continue to loathe you?" Comes the drawl that Theodore Nott surely should've been used to, but alas, even after sharing a dorm with him for over seven years, he still cringed at Draco Malfoy's low, aristocratic voice.

It's just that the git knows he's better than them all.

Theodore sighs as he trudges — along with his luggage — across his new dorm to the bed in the middle, since his new dorm mates decided his fate for him as they went to the opposite walls.

"That'd be a shame. McGonagall worked so hard to help us become best mates," Potter shoots, dryly, and Nott mentally groans.

It was true. Headmistress McGonagall had put together a special meeting for the new dorm mates.

"Hello, Mister Potter, Malfoy, and Nott." She had greeted after taking them away from the feast in the Great Hall. They stood in the corridor, staring longingly back to the Hall. "As you know, you came back for a repeating year of your seventh, along with many other students your age, correct?"

The boys nodded, confused as to why she asked a blatantly obvious question.

"As Mister Potter already knows — given that Miss Granger was a large part of it — we are promoting inter house unity to an extreme for our returning... eighth years, as you will," she continued, "All of the eighth years will be taking residence in the East Tower."

It seemed that Malfoy and Potter both knew this, while Theodore was left quite surprised. Sharing a common room with a bunch of Hufflepuffs and Gryffindors didn't sound at all elating, and actually quite dangerous.

Nonetheless, Theo held his tongue, unlike Potter. "Sorry, professor, but why are you telling us this, now?"

McGonagall suddenly took on a grave expression. "The council and I had decided the best way to spread unity was to alphabetise the students into pairs of three, and then letting them be dorm mates. It really mixed up the students, and... Well, interesting groups were formed."

Theodore, being his intellectual self, was the first to catch on. "No," he said automatically, but amended at his headmistress' expression. "I mean, professor, they'll kill each other. The idea is insane, so if you plan on carrying it out, please put me in a different dorm."

McGonagall took on an apologetic look. "Believe my sympathy, Mister Nott, but we're keeping this arrangement."

Finally the other two had caught on. Malfoy's eyes widened and he looked in a mixture of distressed and disgusted, and Potter just about exploded.

"Share a dorm with him?!" He had neared a shriek, and McGonagall looked on disapprovingly. He ignored it. "Professor, look; I respect you, fully, and I know you're brilliant, but come on! You can't possibly think it's a good idea to room us together."

Theo couldn't say he disagreed.

McGonagall turned stern. "I do think it's a smart decision, considering that your two's little bickerings have become quite obnoxious over the past six years, and I supposed that a war would settle it into a silly rivalry that you both would grow out of."

Theo felt extremely uncomfortable. He wished he just got roomed with Blaise Zabini, or someone else.

McGonagall continued. "I put my faith in both of you to become the men you have been growing to be, and to develop acquaintance with each other. I also put my faith into Mister Nott, to his abilities, and strongly believe he will be able to hold back any rough arguments that may arise."