Chapter 14: Looney

Chapter 14

Hermione twisted her head, her body contorted painfully as she pressed up against Malfoy as her legs just narrowly missed his head so that she had her back against the net behind her

Hermione twisted her head, her body contorted painfully as she pressed up against Malfoy as her legs just narrowly missed his head so that she had her back against the net behind her. Behind him was Zabini, and Malfoy's face was pained as the other Slytherin's knees jabbed him in the back.

"Strange. You don't look like the inferi," said a voice behind her. It held an airy, dream-like quality. "How did you get caught in that?"

She knew it instantly.

"Luna? Luna! It's me, Hermione! Did you set this trap?"

She heard hurried footsteps approaching. She craned her neck to look through the large holes in the net to see below her.

Luna was frowning as she looked up at her and the other two. "Ah, Draco and Blaise are with you as well. Odd. Well, I suppose I should get you down."

She heard an exasperated grunt from one of the two men and indistinguishable muttering. She was pretty certain 'Looney Luna' was mentioned, forcing her to frown. She wasn't particularily thrilled by their circumstances, but it seemed perfectly sane to set traps like the one they were in with the dead roaming around freely.

And, she was just pleased to see another friend alive. For a moment her mind wandered towards Harry, and she had to reel it back in. SHe couldn't dwell on if he was dead or alive. SHe just had to survive first.

"Please, Luna, that would be lovely."

"Well if you could please stay still, the fall might be unpleasant."

"Wh – " Malfoy started, but then his voice was ripped from him. Just as suddenly as they had been trapped, they were descending back to the ground.

With a groan, she felt the hard impact as her back met the ground, and then the heavy weight of Malfoy on top of her. He had just barely missed twisting her already broken arm. His face was inches from hers, his eyes squeezed shut like somehow not looking would have prevented their fall.

"You could have bloody warned us you were dropping us to the ground!" Zabini said in annoyance, standing up from where he was in the netting beside them, untangling him self as he grimaced. "I could have broken something!"

Hermione turned to see Luna looking at all of them curiously, her big pale blue eyes blinking less than what would be considered normal. Her usually long platinum hair was cropped around her shoulders where it sat in messy waves around her face.

"I did warn you," she answered, unconcerned about the angry Slytherin.

Malfoy finally seemed to have oriented himself, and he pushed off the ground to his knees looking back at their old classmate, his eyes slightly dazed.

Zabini was still fuming. "A second isn't considered a proper warning, you bloody lunatic!"

Even though Hermione somewhat agreed, she felt she had to diffuse the situation. "She could have left us up there, stop being an arse Zabini. We would have been sitting prey up there." SHe frowned imagining what would have happened if a group of the dead muggles wandered into the area before Luna discovered them. A chill went up her spin, feeling unprotected out in the open.