Priya | Seen and not heard

Priya yawned into her hand, fatigue blistering behind her eyes, but was saved by the waitress returning to her table with a steaming cup of espresso. After securing a spot on Daniel Chu's Oculus team, she'd spent the better part of last night researching their corporate history, including details behind their recent six billion dollar tech acquisition, to prep for tonight.

And then of course, Marai Nagao had run her almost ragged throughout the day, sending her to court with paperwork for one of the senior partners to sign off on, and then heaved a four thousand page brief in her lap she had to proof by tomorrow.

Tasks for either a courier, or a first year grunt, but of the seven lawyers Daniel had chosen to work this client, she was the only one here with him and the Oculus executive board for dinner.

That had to count for something. And if she proved to be a success with this, then perhaps Marai would finally see her at a mentee of value and start taking her seriously.

Stirring in an unhealthy amount of sugar, Priya sipped gratefully as her entrée plate was cleared away.

"I thought your generation was born bleeding coffee?" John Dimitrov slithered at her side, the fringe of his white mustache wisping over his thin upper lip.

Anyone else who would dare get this close to her personal space, Priya would've shoved him back with an elbow to the spleen. But as this was the Chairman and Chief Operating Officer of Oculus at an exclusive table in the center of an elite Manhattan restaurant, all she could do was flash her best smile.

The dazzling sort that sent most men into a stupor.

"Yes," she forced through clenched teeth, "but every now and then I need to inject a fresh supply."

John laughed, a pitchy nasal sound that made her fingers curl but she was spared further inane banter as the waitress opened bottles of aged whiskey Daniel had ordered. Smart move. Both John Dimitrov and Oculus CEO, Barry Marrone, were both partial to the vintage.

Apparently Priya hadn't been the only one studying the profiles of twelve men and the lone woman of their team, Natasha Labelle, Senior Vice President of Communications, well into the morning hours.

"I'm glad I was able to convince you to join me for dinner." Daniel smiled winsomely and brushed his glass with John, the other male execs, and Priya's last. "Here's to a wonderful evening, and hopefully a profitable fourth quarter."

Ah, at last. The time for glad-handing was over and the cards were laid out on the table.

"Speaking of profits, I was impressed by the details surrounding your recent acquisition," Priya leapt in and the hum of conversation descended into silence. "Especially the work you put into the media spin," she said, directing her praise towards the furthest end of the table where Natasha sipped her champagne.

"Yes, absolutely," Daniel agreed. "It was a work of genius."

"I'm pleased to hear you say so," Natasha replied, casting her soft brown gaze towards Daniel. "Communication is a delicate field with so many landmines that could be set off by a single comma."

"Don't be coy," Bob Mitchell, two seats to Priya's left, barked in his smoker's rasp of a voice. "That's what this is all about, eh? Canoodling for a bite of our six billion dollar pie?"

"Well, since you mention it, it's a big pie, Bob.

"For which we have in-house counsel."

"That was sufficient when you were small scale, but this is big leagues you're pitching in." Daniel set down his glass as a collection of waitresses in black returned carrying trays laden with fine desserts. "You're gonna need someone with considerable skill and impressive client list someone to help protect your interests; a shark, deadly and dangerous enough to keep the other sharks at bay."