Chapter 3, Scene 1

Catherine hummed to herself as she walked around the barn from the chicken coop. She looked over the numbers on her notes as she did. If production continued at this pace, the egg money alone might provide sufficient cash to see them through winter. If the hens stay healthy. If the foxes stay away. If—

A big bay hunter trotted down the lane, slowed to a walk, and stopped. The curious earl is back.

A flash of vanity made her wonder if she might pop up the rear stairs and change from her work clothes before she was noticed. The earl looked up and nodded in greeting. He glanced at the door and back at Catherine, as if deciding whether to greet her or knock.

Too late. He can take me as I am. She strode over and curtseyed to their guest.

"What may I do for you, my lord?"

"I thought to pay a call on your father, Miss—" he said.

"Welcome, then. Excuse our informality. She opened the door and brought him in. In a well-run household, a servant would meet him at the door, she thought. She wouldn't apologize that their one cook/housekeeper had gone into the village this day. He'll have to take all of us as we are.

As if in response to her thoughts, footsteps pounded down from the upper story.

"There's a horse out front, Cath. The earl is back!" Freddy shouted, before he noticed their guest and skidded to a stop. The look on Catherine's face was enough to make him recall his manners.

"Oh, sorry, Lord Chadbourn," he said, sketching a tolerably correct bow. Randy, who followed behind him, did the same.

"Welcome, my lord," Randy said, just before his brother burst out with, "May I see to your horse?"

Freddy looked desperately eager. The earl looked disconcerted.

Of course he doesn't want boys handling his cattle. It isn't as if we have stables.

"His Lordship has come to visit Papa. You young men are meant to be at your numbers. Off with you."

Randy smiled at the earl and started up the stairs, watching over his shoulder. Freddy looked as if he meant to argue.

"Perhaps another time," Chadbourn said. "I will be in the neighborhood at least until the New Year."

Freddy looked thoughtful. Before he could wheedle, the earl went on, "Of course, that assumes your studies are as they should be."

"Yes sir," Freddy said. He plodded after his brother.

"Charming boys."

Catherine tipped her head. Did he mean that as a compliment? She couldn't tell. "This way, my lord."

When they turned in the narrow hallway, the earl's arm brushed hers, sending a jolt of electricity through her. She prayed he didn't notice and focused on the door to the sunny room her father had appropriated for his studies.

She knocked softly but didn't wait for an answer. The door opened to the south-facing breakfast room, lined with windows, their drapery pulled back for maximum light. It was, she noticed, as cluttered as ever. She leaned over with a sigh and picked up papers that had fallen off the wide worktable in the center of the room.

"Papa, we have a visitor. " She looked at the papers in her hand and restored them to the correct pile.

Her father sat hunched over the table, pen in hand. He bobbed his head up. "Visitor? It's Thursday, Catherine."

"The Earl of Chadbourn, Papa. Your Lordship, may I make known to you Lord Arthur Wheatly.