Chapter 7, Part 2

"Will this do?" the earl—she would not let herself think of him as Will—called from the top of the tree. He waved a large sprig of mistletoe triumphantly.

"It certainly will. Now, come down before you break your neck," Catherine said in her best older-sister voice. He had visited her father twice more. The second time, he brought his friend, the marquess, who frightened both of her brothers into awed silence, no small feat. The elegant and reserved marquess confirmed Catherine's belief that the earl's world lay far outside of her experience or ambition.

The marquess also leant a firm hand and logic to the earl's persuasion of her father, however. Papa, she thought, was poised on the brink of capitulating.

When Chadbourn heard they were going to gather greens to decorate Songbird, there was nothing for it but to invite the young duke along. His uncle had to accompany him, of course. The marquess wisely declined. Her father snorted about nonsense, but didn't forbid it.

"Isn't he grand, Cath?" Randy exclaimed. "He climbed up there like he does it every day, not like some stuck-up earl." He did, at that. She tried to imagine the Marquess of Glenaire at the top of the tree and failed miserably.

The not-so-stuck-up earl grinned down at her. "Catch!" he shouted, and she scrambled to obey. He climbed down with the same grace and alacrity with which he climbed up. Catherine watched in rapt fascination, mistletoe clutched to her breast.

"Cath won't usually let us get the mistletoe. We make do with holly," Freddy told Charles. At least the earl's efforts kept her brothers from breaking their foolish necks.

Will leapt down from the lowest branch, landing on his feet, with laughter in his eyes. "Mistletoe is the best part, Freddy," he said. "Let me demonstrate." He moved toward Catherine, a predatory look taking the place of laughter in his expression.

Catherine took a step back, still clutching the mistletoe. She tried to control panic. Don't be a ninnyhammer. What can he do in front of the boys?

When Will pulled her hands forward and took a sprig, she couldn't take her eyes from his. "When a lady finds herself under mistletoe," he told the boys without looking away from Catherine, "she must pay the forfeit." He leaned in, and her eyes focused on his lips, his fine, chiseled lips. Her mouth parted in amazement just as he closed the distance between them. He took her lower lip in his gently, before moving over her mouth in a caress that took her breath. Before she could disgrace herself by clutching his neck and drawing him closer, he pulled back and smiled knowingly.

"That, my boys, is how it's done," he said hoarsely, without taking his eyes from her face.

"Take the mistletoe back," Freddy crowed, while Randy made retching noises. The duke looked from one of his friends to the other and joined in the mockery.

"Oh, very well," Chadbourn said. "You may use this option, too." He leaned in and kissed her cheek quickly. Only then, did Catherine realize his arm on her waist steadied her. If he hadn't held her, her knees might have buckled. He looked at her, as if to confirm she could stand, and turned briskly.

"Let's get these greens to the house," he said, and organized the boys for the trek back to the kitchen. When they got there and unloaded greenery all over Mrs. MacLeish's worktable, Will announced he would pay his respects to Lord Arthur.

Catherine bolted to her room before he could ask her to join him and have a private moment along the way.

Two hours later, she stood in her father's study in shock. Not only had Lord Arthur agreed to the boy's schooling, he had agreed to come to Eversham Hall to discuss arrangements.

"Boy's right. I may as well face it sooner rather than later."

He would face his childhood home. And Catherine? She would face dinner with a hostile duchess, a toplofty marquess, and an earl who made mush of her senses and left her unable to think. Damn it, anyway. She couldn't wait.