Chapter 5, Scene 1

Two weeks later, the earl smiled with satisfaction at his likely new steward. Archer, seeing the state of the fields, running soil between his hands and sniffing it carefully, looked thoughtful. He stood with the earl by a rotting fencerow, next to a bedraggled wheat field.

The man rubbed his hands enthusiastically, even as he pronounced Eversham land a "sad muddle."

"It can be fixed," Will said with more hope than conviction. He didn't dare think otherwise.

"Certainly, my lord, but it'll take a few years, four at least, better in eight. In ten to twelve years, there won't be finer fields in England. Four-field rotation, that's the ticket: wheat, barley, turnips, and clover. We can manage a smaller herd of sheep on the clover fields. Songbird, now, they use three-field rotation. Haven't the livestock to take advantage of the clover, but Miss Wheatly believes doing a bean crop in rotation with wheat and barley does the trick, as well."

Will decided to hire him. He had the knowledge, he had the passion, and he was too young for Catherine Wheatly. That last shouldn't matter, but it did.

"Perhaps we can invite Miss Wheatly over for a meeting, seek her advice in planning," he suggested hopefully.

"Brilliant, my lord. She is the best there is." The young man cleared his throat as if uncomfortable with his own outburst. "Some don't see it, but she is," he murmured more quietly. "For all she's a woman."

Interesting, Will thought. The county doesn't hold Catherine's origins or behavior against her, but they doubt her unfeminine skills. More fools they.

The two men walked back toward the stables and barns.

"What of the buildings, Archer? Can you take that on?"

"Buildings, fences, tenant roofs. They all want repair. If I can hire the workers, we can fix it. Folks will be glad of the work."

Will thought for a moment. Yes, I can picture this man, young as he is, overseeing the work. His enthusiasm alone will carry them along.

"Hire what you need, Archer. You have a position. Can you start a week from Monday?"

"I can start this hour, my lord. The need is great."

"It is that, but we'll expect you to live in. The steward's cottage needs airing, and your uncle will want you to take your leave."

"He will," Archer said, slightly crestfallen. "I'll speak to Miss Wheatly and see if she can join us then."

The two men walked toward the stable yard to find Eversham stables entertaining guests.

"These two came to visit Mercury, my lord," Reilly the head groom said, with a worried look.

The two Wheatly boys looked at him with cautious hope.

"We just wanted to see the horse, my lord," the one called Freddy said. "You said maybe another time, but you haven't been back."

"Hey, John," Randy peered around the earl to beam up at Archer.

"That's Mr. Archer to you, young sir," the earl said. "Mr. Archer is Eversham Hall's new land steward."

"Brilliant!" Randy exclaimed. "He'll be so much better than—" He hung his head. "Sorry, my lord," he whispered.

Archer suppressed a smile. "I'll see you in a week, my lord," he said. He ruffled Randy's hair. "My best to your papa and sister, Randy." He walked away with a long-limbed stride, and a new sense of purpose.

Freddy looked back and forth between the earl and his brother. He sighed deeply and turned his attention to the interior of the stables. "Do you have many horses, my lord?" he asked.

The contrast between Freddy's obsession and Charles's fear cut the earl like a knife to the belly. The boy's words twisted it. A decision firmed and planted itself in his mind.

"Reilly," he said to the groom. "Perhaps His Grace would like to join us in the stable yard."

The man grinned. "He might, my lord, or he might not, but it'll do 'im good."