15

|C A I N|

    Orion. Orion. Orion. Why did that name sound faintly familiar to Cain? And why was the boy sitting in front of him strike a memory in the very back of Cain's mind?

   Cain stepped back, holding his chest. His heartbeat picked up, going twice it's usual pace. The pounds of the organ resounded throughout his entire body until all he could hear was the quickened beats.

    Thump-ba-dump!
    Thump-ba-dump!
    Thump-ba-dump!
    Thump-ba-dump!
    Thu-

    Cain was brought out of his daze by the sweet voice of his master. His eyes snapped to Emerson's face, a worried expression painted across it. The image blurred for a second before focusing. Colored blotches intruded Cain's vision momentarily as everything came back to normal. Cain blinked rapidly, and his pulse steadily calmed. The warped sounds around him slowly became understandable.

"-ou all right?" Emerson asked fervently, only holding his captive with one hand as he reached out to make sure Cain was okay.

A quiet, muffled meow escaped Cain's lips. He loved how Emerson caressed his cheek ever so delicately. He leaned into Emerson's touch as his hand cupped his cheek. Emerson smiled softly, patting Cain on the head before withdrawing his hand.

Cain scampered forward, burying his head and all of his worries into Emerson's chest. He purred deeply as Emerson stroked his hair. The panther watched curiously at the exchange coming from the two. He could get away now, but he couldn't just leave Orion in hands of a strange man, a werewolf at that.

Cain pulled away, a small smile playing across his lips as he kissed Emerson's hand. He let it drop, rubbing his shoulder up against Emerson's shoulder.

"I'll take it you're good now. Come on, Cain, let's take him home, shall we?" Emerson gave him a sideways grin as Cain trotted beside him down the hill.

    As they walked down the steep path, Emerson and Cain got caught up in a deep, heated conversation about the world's utmost biggest problems. The panther watched them with caution, getting annoyed at the bickering coming from the young cat and dog.

    "Chicken nuggets are sooooo much better from Burger King than McDonalds!" Emerson claimed.

    Cain scoffed before answering, "Nuh-uh! McDonalds a-are wayyyyyy b-better!"

     "How would you know? You were a fuc- I mean frickin cat for the past 14 years!" Emerson exclaimed.

    "So! I a-ate your food a-a-all the time! S-Sometimes y-you didn't even notice! A-And anyway, Bu-Burger King chicken nuggets a-are fake!" Cain challenged, crossing his arms firmly.

"That's not t-" Emerson was cut off by an exasperated sigh coming from the captured werecat.

"Will you but just shut the f*ck up? They both are fake and taste like sh*t! I don't even know why you are having this conversation. Chick-Fil-A is obviously the best fast food chicken of all time!" He grumbled.

Emerson and Cain looked at each other before nodding and answering in unison with a simple 'true'. The panther felt a knot growing in the pit of his stomach as he watched how they worked so well together. It didn't seem as though the wolf boy was keeping Orion hostage.

    Emerson studied his mate quietly, taking in Cain's features. Cain stared at the ground, growing a tad bit shy of Emerson's gaze. Emerson had stared at Cain numerous times, but Cain felt that there was something different about this.

     "So... Cat boy... What's your name and why where you following us?" Emerson twisted his head around to glare at the panther.

     "I wasn't following you. I was following the scent of Orion. And I need to bring him back to the clan before it falls into ruin!" The panther grunted.

     "His name isn't Orion. Stop calling him that! It's Cain!" Emerson snapped, annoyed at the name Orion.

     "Yes it is. I know for a fact it is! I should know, since I'm his brother!" Snarled the furious werecat as his eyes darted to Cain.

    Cain froze. Brother. Brother. Brother! Cain's heart skipped a beat as his glassy eyes locked with his brother. That explained the similar face shape... That explained the familiarity of the werecat in front of him... That explained why he called him Orion... But it didn't explain one big thing...

     "Why d-didn't y-you come f-for me? Why n-n-now? If y-you loved me y-you would have c-come for me so-sooner!" Cain's body started to shake as tears slipped down his cheeks.

    Emerson let out a whine and tried to wipe away Cain's tears. Cain took a step back, not wanting his comfort. He wanted answers. Answers that could only come from one person.

    His brother cleared his threat before speaking, knowing what was about to come out of his mouth was going to be a lot to take in.

    "Ori- I thought my father had killed you."

$$ Hi peeps! This chapter was really uneventful... Anyway, I've been getting really excited over the amount of views this has been getting! 😊 It's really nice when you guys vote and even better when you comment! Tell me, I will respond! Thanks babes! $$